Dermal Fillers After Facial Silicone Injections

I had botched silicone injections in my face some time ago.  I learned my lesson, but I am now curious if I can use other fillers.  Is it OK to inject another filler into where the silicone was placed?

Problems with silicone injections

+3

I have successfully treated patients with silicone injections done in other countries with removal of silicone and fat transfer or with either fat transfer or fillers alone.

There are things to consider.

Remember that while your silicone injections were permanent dermal fillers (other than fat transfers) are not considered a permanent solution and you may need repeat injections every so often.

Also - anytime you have foreign material in your body, it can be prone to infection. You are at increased risks from dermal injections because you have silicone. Make sure you discuss this possible complication completely with your treating physician. I strongly recommend you seek a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Steven Williams, MD

Silicone Facial Fillers: Using hyaluronic acid type fillers in the same area

+2

Histologically, under the microscope, patients with silicone facial fillers have a chronic inflammatory response around the injectate. Using other fillers alongside the silicone may predispose the new fillers to behave in an unpredictable fashion, including an enhanced fibrotic/scar response with an increase in nodule formation; or an enhanced absorptive response with clearance of the hyaluronic acid filler at a faster rate than normal.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone injections

+2

Patients who have had silicone injections often suffer from chronic inflammation. This inflammation results in chronic swelling and edema in the areas that received the silicone injection and adjacent areas where the silicone injections traveled.

It is generally fine to inject hyaluronic acid fillers to fill in adjacent areas. However, the chapter is yet to be written on what the long term implications of silicone injections are. We have noticed for example, that silicone injection patients tend to swell much more with treatments, including filler injections or laser treatments. I would speculate that because of the chronic inflammatory reaction caused by silicone (which is even visible under a microscope as birefringent crystals and chronic inflammation) predisposes patients to have more swelling than normal. Also the liquid silicone acts as a heat sink, so laser and even PhotoFacial treatments may be more dangerous in patients with silicone injections.

For patients who are contemplating silicone injections, these observations should cause caution before proceeding. In patients who have had silicone injections, they may be more susceptible to swelling.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Should be OK

+1

Silicone is not a product that is endorsed by the ASPS because of problems with the product in the past.  Supposedly the newer material is safer but I have not seen any recent studies.  In terms of other fillers, it should not be a problem to inject other fillers to improve contour deformities.