Dermabrasion or Laser Resurfacing to Improve Septorhinoplasty Scar?

I had a Septorhinoplasty (Septoplasty with Rhinoplasty) with alar base reduction 2 months and half ago. The scar in the right side is acceptable but on the left side the incision is higher and is visible to me. What can I do to improve it because it does not seem to get better since a month? Also, I have stitches marks left since they were removed 2 weeks later. Should I have Dermabrasion or Laser Resurfacing? And which one is better? I need your help. Thank you!

Dermabrasion or Laser Skin Resurfacing can help Rhinoplasty scars

+2

It has been only 2 months since your rhinoplasty alar base reduction as I read your post. You have sebaceous skin and it will take longer for your incisions lines to look lass red and heaped up. This is normal with your skin type. I would wait a minimum of 9 months of healing until considering lase resurfacing or dermabrasion. If you do it too early it will likely make these scars look worse. They both yield good results.

Septorhinoplasty scar

+1

At this point, it would be best for you to speak with your surgeon as he/she will be able to give you the best advice as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. Dermabrasion may help the scar. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty scars

+1

Scars from rhinoplasty can be treated if the scars are not favorable. Scar revision, laser procedures, silicone sheeting or silicone gel can all help if the scars are not favorable.

Dermabrasion and Laser Resurfacing both improve scarring

+1

Both Dermabrasion and Fractional (or full) CO2 laser resurfacing will improve scarring, but not remove it.

Dermabrasion will help smooth out the lumpy texture and blend the scar into the normal skin. The best time to perform dermabrasion is 6-8 weeks after surgery, but it can help anytime within one year of original scar formation.

CO2 laser will help blend the scar into the normal skin too, but won't work quite as well to smooth out the height of the scar.

I would opt to dermabrade now, allow the area to heal for 6 months, and then consider laser for further improvment if necessary.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon