Why Do Dentists Do Botox? Is It Safe?

I was surprised when my dentist offered to throw in a Botox treatment with my dental work. He said many dentists offer Botox these days. Is it ok/wise to get Botox from a dentist?

Dentist Injecting BOTOX

+3
I feel that I can speak to this question readily.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  I am also a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon.  It is true that facial anatomy is easily understood by the practicitioner trained in dentistry but GENERAL dentist rarely if ever venture outside of the mouth.  I feel strongly that GENERAL dentist should not inject BOTOX.  Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons on the other hand have much more extensive training (surgical) training than the general dentist and it is not unreasonable for Oral and Max. Surgeons to inject BOTOX.  Having said all of this I believe that Plastic Surgeons are uniquely qualified surgical medical specialists to inject BOTOX.  Plastic Surgeons ROUTINELY provide BOTOX for patients as opposed to Oral and Max Surgeons who may casually provide this service.  MOST importantly well trained board certified Plastic Surgeons are capable of handling the complications (either medically or surgically). Dr. ES

There are dentists and then there are dentists.

+1

Many so called dentists who perform cosmetic BOTOX are actually highly trained Maxilofacial surgeons, a large number of whom hold dual MD and DMD degrees with residency training in Maxilofacial surgery.  It is misleading to simply describe these individuals as "dentists."  Most States do not permit general dentists to inject cosmetic BOTOX or fillers for that matter.  Check with the licensing board for your State to learn what is or is not permitted.  When it doubt, remember, that there is no substitute for experience in performing these treatments.  Board certification in one of the four core aesthetic specialties is usually a good place to start: Dermatology, General Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, and Oculoplastic Surgery .

Dentists do Botox?

+1

Frankly, dentists to Botox to increase their revenue. It is up to patients to be careful who they have do ANY procedure for them.

Dentists and Botox

+1

Free enterprise can lead to bizzare situations such as Dentists injecting Botox and about 15 years ago advertising and doing Traditional Laser resurfacing,Chiropractors injecting Botox, etc.

Just because a procedure is cheaper when done by a non-MD, doesn't mean that you get equal  value and the same risk level for com plications.

Botox should be injected by an experienced Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Be Aware)

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Dentists are pushing for Botox but most physicians agree it is a bad idea.

+1

Many states are now debating whether dentists (who did not go to medical school, but to dental school) should be allowed to do Botox. Regardless of the outcome of the state legislatures' decisions, the most qualified injectors of Botox, Dysport, and the fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse) will continue to be board-certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons, for many reasons, let alone the fact that dentists do not train in upper face management.

As time goes on you will see more nurses, physician assistants, dentists, and all sorts of non-M.D. injectors arising. Use common sense. Not just your wallet.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox by Dentist

+1
Some states allow persons holding a medical license the opportunity to treat patients...even in areas that they have absolutely no training, knowledge, experience or even skill. Would you let your neighborhood neurosurgeon do your botox or even your breast implants for that matter? Many practitioners now perform Botox injections, nurses, OB/GYNs, Internal Medicine doctors, even a Cardiac Surgeon in our city, and mainly do so for the economic benefits they perceive they will be afforded; but the better question is do they really know how?
I pulled my son's loose baby tooth out last weekend, it was easy...should I "throw it in" to my Botox patients who have kids just because I have an MD and it is an easy procedure?
Crazy world we live in.....
Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

Botox - by a dentist

+1

Some states legally allow dentists to give Botox but I wouldn't recommend it.  It's a personal choice, but would you allow your plastic surgeon to do your filling or root canal?

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Dentists should not inject Botox

+1

Some states allow Botox injections by a wide array of medical or dental practitioners.  Just because they can does not mean they should or are qualified to.  Your safest option is to have your Botox by a specialist who has recieved the proper training.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Why Do Dentists Do Botox? Is It Safe?

+1
Regarding: "Why Do Dentists Do Botox? Is It Safe? I was surprised when my dentist offered to throw in a Botox treatment with my dental work. He said many dentists offer Botox these days. Is it ok/wise to get Botox from a dentist?" Some dentists inject Botox for the same reasons some Family Practitioners, ER doctors, GYN's, former pathologists,Chiropractors and a whole hosts of holders of medical licenses do it - failing careers in their chosen profession, the promise of easy access to money WITHOUT training in Plastic Surgery, jaded, for-sale State Medical Boards and legislators and an uncaring, unquestioning American public which assumes that "all doctors are the same" and does not understand ANYTHING about board certification. "Is it safe?" - would you have a Dentist deliver your baby? Would you have him / her take out your appendix?  Enough said. To truly understand the MEANING of Board Certification and training in Plastic Surgery follow the link below. Dr. Peter Aldea 

It is better to have a plastic surgeon inject your Botox

+1
Dentists should not inject botox, just as plastic surgeons should not perform root canals.  It it always best to go to the specialist who is well trained in the area you wish to have a procedure.   In this case, Botox is best performed by plastic surgeons or dermatologists.

Lane Smith, MD