Will Tretinoin Gel Help with Premature Wrinkles and Jowls?

I'm only 26 years old, but due to a severe chronic acne problem and years of sunbed abuse, I've already developed deep wrinkles, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, broken caps, eyelid ptosis, jowls and more. GP refuses to refer me to a cosmetic surgeon in the UK, so I cannot seek surgery here. Instead, he gave me Tretinoin gel 0.01%. Will this help? I've also started taking collagen pills. If not, is travelling to the US/Canada an option? I shouldn't have to deal with this 20 years prematurely and it's causing me immense distress. Thanks.

Very Young for these Problems

+3

First, a sunscreen is of foremost importance, but I know you know that.

I would agree that Tretinoin would be a valuable first step. It will help with finer wrinkles, especially those due to the sun. Add ReVale Sin Night Cream to the Tretinioin. In addition, I would advise Aveen Ultra Calming Cream with Fever Few in the morning.

A number of vitamins and herbals would help too: Vits A, C, & E, Zinc, Acai, Resveratrol ( possibly), DMAE ( possibly), CO Q 10, CoffeeBerry, and Alpha Lipoic Acid ( possibly).

I would recommend a home peeling system with alpha hydroxy acids with augmentation twice a year with a peel TCA medium depth peel done in a dermatology or plastic surgery office.

This regimen will address some of your concerns. Others such as naso-labial folds, Mariionette lines, eyelid ptosis are due to dynamic muscular movement and would have to corrected with fillers and/or Botox.

Not that we would not like to have you visit our country, but I am sure there are many excellent physicians in England who could help solve your problems.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Wrinkles and sun damage

+1

Hopefully you can consult a cosmetic dermatologist without a referral if your GP won't send you.  Tretinoin cream at .025% would be better tolerated than the gel.  Sun protection is mandatory.  You may require a combination of Botox for wrinkles, fillers to replace lost volume, intense pulsed light for veins, and photodynamic therapy to reverse your sun damage.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist