Can a DDS in Minnesota Be a Medical Director for an R.N. to Do Botox, Laser Treatments, Chemical Peels, Etc in a Hair Salon?

A nurse is doing Medical Spa treatments in a hair salon and her medical director is a dentist. I thought only MD and DO can practice medicine? Is this correct?

Botox and state specific guidelines

+1

Each state has specific medical practice laws anyone is able to reference by visiting their website or calling the licensure office. Often dentists and other providers incorporate Botox and dermal filler training into their current practice and can direct injections to appropriately licensed staff.

Title says it all

+1

While I don't know the law, the title says it all, clearly the dentist has no formal training in any of these procedures and it seems like this is more about a business and making money than it is about providing quality care.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Can a dentist be a medical director?

+1

Laws surrounding licenses and medical practices are different in each state. You can contact your state's medical board to find out 1. who can be a medical director, and 2. who can do these types of injections. Here's their phone number for your state: 612-617-2130.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Nurse injector with dentist as medical director

+1

Each state has different laws that determine what type health care provider can perform treatments by injection, such as Botox and fillers.  Each state also has different laws in regards to what type of professional can be a medical director and how closely they need to supervise providers doing treatments.  I would check with the medical board in Minnesota and they should be able to answer your question.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon