Am I Being Ripped off with Botox and Juvederm? (photo)

I am 27 with some forehead wrinkles when furrowing and when lifting my eyebrows. I am from Michigan and my Dr says I need 80 units of botox at 12/unit=$960 then 4cc's of lip filler at $2200 dollars. Doesn't most offer more syringes of juvederm cheaper, and for mainly forehead botox I just think 80 units is a lot. I posted pics to see the wrinkles. Please let me know opinions asap I scheduled for the 25th of April for the work. If not I will cancel and shop around.

Too much Botox and too much filler

I have been injecting dermal filler for over a decade. I have NEVER injected 4cc's into the lips. The day I do is the day I will retire myself!

Seek another opinion, in my opinion!

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

70 Harley Street

Am I Being Ripped off with Botox and Juvederm?

One could argue that 80 units is a lot, but, then again, looking at your photo, you do have deep furrows (the 11s) and lines at rest and if you are adding in crows feet, then 80 units is not a stretch.  $12/unit is not bad pricing depending on where you live (tends to be $10-14).  As far as the fillers go, your quote of $550 per syringe is not far-fetched, again depending on where you live, it may be average.  Do you want 4 cc of filler in your lips is the question, that's a large volume for just the lips - perhaps some of that is going to be injected elsewhere?  You may want to get another opinion so you can compare and also to set your mind at ease pricing-wise and overall treatment-wise.  You would want to find an injector in whom you feel trust and confidence (you might end up with this injector afterall).

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.) 

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

15906 Mill Creek Blvd.
Mill Creek, WA 98012

You are paying for service not just product.

Flat out, you don't need 80 units of BOTOX.  This will totally paralyze your forehead.  A frozen look will be very unnatural and inauthentic.  $12 per unit of BOTOX is not unreasonable.  More experienced injectors can charge much more for their treatments with top injectors above approximately $20 per unit.  Remember the basic cost to the doctor of the product is in the $6 per unit range, other costs get factored into to making a final price for the service including the actual consultation, cost to pay for the staff that greets you at the front desk, back office nursing staff, cost to make and maintain your chart, rent and utilities on the office space, paying for your parking if they validated,  cost of marketing the practice, and let's not forget about malpractice cost.  FInally, the doctor doing the service might want to take a few dollars home at the end of the day.  These cost do add up.  

Finally, 4 ml of Juvederm for your lips is ridiculous.  A very nice lip edge treatment should be in the neighborhood of 1 ml.  I personally think that Juvederm is an inappropriate product for lip treatment because of its tendency to drift after service.  I think Restylane is a much better product for this.  If you get 4 ml of treatment, you will look like the Joker.  As I tell my professional women patients, there are basically two types of lip edge treatment: executive lips that look nice and natural and adult entertainment lips: don't confuse the two.

I don't think the basic prices you are being quote are unreasonable.  I think the service being proposed does not make sense.  If you can't afford quality service, please do not get treatment.  Nothing is worse than getting wrecked to save a few bucks.  On the other hand, based on the proposed treatment described, I think you should consider getting some additional opinions.  Start small: well done conservative treatment will save you money in the long run.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Am I being ripped off for Botox and Juvederm

The normal amount of Botox used is 50 units for a full treatment, but this can be variable, of course. Even though you are young you do have a very significant 11 area in the middle of your brows, more significant than I've seen in a long time, truly. So you may need more in that area. I prefer to start conservatively with Botox though, because you can always do more, so starting with 80 units, is a lot, to me. I have some male body builders that I do Botox on, and I do 75 units on them. So again staring with 80 units seems excessive to me. Now onto the Juvederm... 4ccs is a lot of Juvederm and again I prefer to start more conservatively and add filler, rather than start with 4ccs all at once. Plus I like to build upon, or stack fillers, as they last longer than injecting a bunch all at once. There are patients who I have done up to 6cc's on, but it's been over several months, not all at once. I think the fact that you are questioning everything perhaps means you should at least see a few other doctors for consultations and opinions. While you shouldn't be shopping around for the cheapest prices, you should be shopping around for someone who makes you comfortable and content with your choices for injections. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Am I Being Ripped Off?

You need to be able to trust your doctor. You haven't found the right fit. Going into a procedure with such doubts is a setup for disappointment. I do think 80 units sounds like a lot for you. You could definitely get away with less and still have a nice result. However, some docs prefer higher doses and patients can then experience longer lasting results. You have a pretty--and natural--smile. I would be careful about getting 4 vials of filler in your lips. I assume they intend to put the majority of it in the nasolabial folds? But even then, it's still a lot of filler for your face at this young age. I wouldn't put more than a single vial into your lips themselves. 

Roberta Lucas, MD
Hanover Dermatologic Surgeon

205 Billings Farm Road
White River Junction, VT 05001

Botox and juevederm

at the outset please understand  that the doctors vary in their pricing mainly because of expertise and experience there is a tangible and intangible difference,these prices are reasonable , and i know drs who charge much more than the quotes.again there are variations about the units used and the quality of the product used.Trust integrity and credibility are the keystones.
normally for forehead we use about 40-50 units in can be more sometimes and we keep some for touch up if needed.
regarding fillers i persume it may not be only for the upper lip or lowerlips but also nasolabial furrows and touch up for other areas to have a harmony.
transparency is the key if the doctor is trustworthy and explains the charges and details of treatment to your satisfaction,then the freedom lies with you to whether to choose him or someone else you think who will offer value for your money

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

LaDiva Center of Excellence for Plastic&CosmeticSurgery
Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380054

Am I Being Ripped Off with Botox and Juvederm?

Dear kikikokat,

The prices you have described for Botox and Juvederm on a per unit and per syringe basis are in line with typical market prices in the US.

As others have echoed, the Botox and Juvederm dosages suggested for you are too high for most patients and would likely produce a frozen and overdone look, which is typically considered undesirable by most (but not all) providers and patients.

It is worth keeping in mind the importance of finding a highly knowledgeable, experienced, skilled, and honest provider for injectable treatments such as Botox and Juvederm.

Although injectable treatments may be simple to administer from a technical standpoint, they require a sophisticated understanding of facial anatomy, facial aesthetics, and soft tissue biology to maximize both results and safety.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon, or Cosmetic Dermatologist to address your concerns. Also keep in mind that the bargain bin is not necessarily the best approach when it comes to your health, well-being, and face.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

77 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

BOTOX and Filler

BOTOX dosing and filler will vary from Dr to Dr. I personally would use around 50 units of BOTOX, and 1-2 syringes of filler.

Hope that helps,

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

7700 San Felipe Street
Houston, TX 77063

I think the prices that you are quoting are very reasonable. With that said, the recommendation that you need 80 units in the forehead/ glabella is excessive. Further, four syringes of filler in your lips is likely more than you need/ want. That amount of Botox and Juvederm will likely create a very unnatural, "done" look which I would guess is not what you are trying to achieve. If you're unsure about your injectors plan, seek a second opinion. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Botox and juvederm costs

i agree with the other PS here: the cost per botox and juvederm treatment are in line with the market price. however, the quatity does seem excessive. 

the forehead should be well treated with 40-50 units. more if you asked for "totally frozen" look. although most patients still want to have some expression. 

the 4 cc in JUST the lips is very excessive. I would ask to see examples of other patients who have had 4.

i think 1 cc is a LOT for just the lips. Better to do less, and repeat more often, then go for too much and regret it later. 

best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

3203 Tower Oaks Blvd
Rockville, MD 20852