When Should Facelift Sutures Be Removed?

How Many Days Post Op from a Facelift Should Sutures in Front of Ears Be Removed, for the best possible chance of limited scarring? Thank you

Suture removal following face lift

Hello and thank you for the question.

Pre-auricular sutures or those in front of the ears, are generally removed at 5-6 days following your procedure. Your surgeon will make the determination as to when the sutures should be removed based on the suture type, the method of closure, and how your healing is progressing.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

436 N. Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Suture Removalf after Face Lift or Necklift

We like to remove the potentially visible sutures 6 days after facelifting. I do not think that 1 day plus or minus will make a dramatic difference. Appropriate incision placement and careful incision suturing is of superior importance.

Personally, I believe that the suture material chosen will have an impact on the final scarline, too.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

428 Shrewsbury Street
Worcester, MA 01604

Suture Removal After Facelift

I generally remove preauricular (in front of ear) sutures 4-6 days after surgery.   We being scar massage therapy 2-3 weeks later.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Suture Removal on Facelift

I typically remove my skin sutures at 4-5 days after surgery.   Depending on a patients skin characteristics and wound healing capabilities, I may wait until a week if it is in the best interest of the patient.   I do place several deep dissolvable sutures to take tension off the skin closure.   I find that this significantly reduces scar widening due to tension and allows me to remove the skin level sutures early enough to minimize the railroad track appearance.

I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Face lift Suture removal

Dear BrookeinCO,

In general, the timing of suture (stitch) removal is a balance between allowing the skin to heal sufficiently, but not allowing the sutures to make a (potentially) permanent mark on the skin. Face lift sutures that are visible may only be the 'top layer' of stitching. That means there are deeper, dissolving stitches that also help to hold the closure together. If this is the case, the visible stitches could be removed in early as 3 - 5 days. If there are no deep stitches, the average time would be slightly longer at about 5-7 days. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

199 Avenue Road
Toronto, ONT M5R 2J3

Five to seven days is optimal.

Dear Brookien

I personally use a combination of running and interrupted sutures in front of the ears where things are very visible.  That way I can remove most of the running suture on the 4th day and take out the interrupted surgery a couple of days later.  This works very well in my hands.  But here is the thing.  Things work differently for different surgeons.  Certainly I would personally be concerned if the bulk of the these sutures are not out be day 7.  You surgeon should be very open to discussing this.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Sutures after facelift

Sutures after a facelift are removed between 5-7 days. There are many more absorbable sutures beneath the skin which do most of the hard work and dissolve over time.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

10175 Gateway Blvd West
El Paso, TX 79925

Facelift suture removal

In this age sutures in front of the ear are less common.  Now with buried sutures and tissue glue there are very few sutures to remove.  I typically remove the limited skin sutures out in one week.

Tal Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

1405 W Park Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Suture Removal Timing for Best Results

The timing for suture removal after Facelift is important to set up the incision line for minimal scar: too soon and incision may separate and the scar may spread.  If we leave the sutures in too long, there can be marks from the sutures or foreign body irritation that leads to scar thickening.

Most Facelift surgeons will use a low reactive suture material (polypropylene or nylon) of relatively delicate caliber in front of the ear and then remove the sutures at 5-7 days.

There may be some variation in the judgment of the surgeon, for managing tension in the closure or for skin type.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

2050 E County Line Rd
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Suture Removal After Facelift

Hi BrookeinCO-

It depends on the type of suture used to close the skin. Generally speaking 5-7 days.

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

631 Fulton Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825