Big Droopy Hanging Bottom Lip. What Procedure Can Fix This?

My lip hangs a lot and I am concerned about looking like I am mad all the time. I look great when I smile but if I have my lips together in a relaxed state, the picture you see is the effect and I hate it. I've already gone in to see a doctor about my low brows. (Another angry looking trait). But does not do any procedure on the lips except for injections. Please help.

Droopy lower lip.

+2

Reduction of your lower lip with a chin implant will give your face a much softer, balanced look. See a good surgeon in your area who is experienced with this procedure.

Lip reduction is the answer

+1

Hi,

I have specialized my practice on lip reduction surgery.  I perform one almost every other day.  Although I agree a chin augmentation would be particularly beneficial for you, I do not believe that adding a chin implant will have any substantive effect on your lower lip.  I think you really need both procedures for optimal gain but could either do them at the same time or separately.  I have done many hanging lip corrections, as evidenced in my before and after gallery.

SML

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction and chin implant

+1
The first thing I would do is chin augmentation sinc your receding chin is contributing to your concerns. The chin can be treated with a chin implant or possibly injectable fillers. Once your chin is properly augmented, I would consider surgical lip reduction if still needed. However, it is important to address the primary cause first with chin enhancement which will establish the underlying support.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip aesthetics

+1

From the photos the problem appears to be more of a receded chin than an enlarged lower lip although there may be components of both. When the chin is receded backward the concave area between lower lip and chin deepens and the lower lip pouts outward and downward. This is usually treated with a chin implant. You can have your surgeon simulate the effect of an implant by injecting saline into the chin. This will last a few hours but give you an idea of what a chin implant would do. You may need both the implant and a lip reduction procedure. On the other hand if your dental alignment is off and the whole jawbone is small/receded a chin implant may not be the best option. The side view photo indicates the whole jawbone maybe diminished in size.

You really need to consult with a surgeon face to face to find out what options you have available, which are reasonable and which give you the result risk ratio and cost you can live with.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Droopy lips

+1

While you need a full exam to make a diadnosis, part of your anatomy indicates a relatively short and recessed chin. The causes two situations that accentuates your lip. First, the lack of support under the lip causes it to droop. Second, it might indicate a need for the muscles of the lower lip, specifically the mentalis muscle, to try and support the lip and this cause it to be pushed forward and curled down. You can do a lip reduction but a chin augmentation, if appropriate, would support the lip better. Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Lip Surgery

+1

While it is not they are not the most common procedures, there are various lip lift and lip reduction techniques.  However, you would need an in personal examination to tell if you are a good candidate for surgery.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD