Is Botox Ever Permanent?

I have a tendency to squint or have my eyes closed while pictures are being taken and a pretty gummy smile. In October, I had Botox injections around my eyes and right between my nose and upper lip. Long story short I like the way the eyes turned out but I can't smile now unless I completely force it. I'm worried that I won't be able to smile again because I've read here that Botox should wear off within 4 mos, this is my 3rd month. Are the effects of Botox ever permanent?

BOTOX PHOTOS: Botox is not permanent

+3

I have never seen the effects of botox to be permanent. Anything is possible but this is highly unlikely and in most instances, its effects should be competely dissipated by 6 months.

Is Botox Permanent

+1

No. No. No. When used in the face, results typically last 3-4 months and occasionally longer. I have not seen any published studies showing long-term results.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox always wears off

+1

Botox always wears off.  Different patients have different durations, but typically it wears off between 3 and 6 months.  Be patient for a while longer. 

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Permanent Botox?

+1

Thank you for the question. You do not have anything to worry about because the effects of Botox are never permanent.

The effects of Botox are never permanent

+1

The effects of Botox routinely last 3-4 months.  Occasionally, the effects can last shorter or longer depending on each individuals metabolism of the product.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox effect is temporary

+1
Botox is by its nature not permanent. It will wear off but lasts longer In some patients than in others depending on your muscle tone, number of times you have undergone treatment and the amount injected.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox is not permanent!

+1

The science of Botox is that it is a protein molecule that irreversibly binds to receptors used for muscle contraction. Theoretically, then, Botox should indeed be "permanent," right? Actually, every person's body makes new receptors, at slightly different rates, which is why Botox "lasts" longer for some and not others--those who make new receptors faster find their Botox "lasts less long," whereas those who make receptors more slowly have their Botox effect for a month or two longer.

You will eventually return to completely normal! This may take up to two or three more months, but should gradually get better over time as your body repopulates the receptors around your mouth. Next time, use less!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox lasts a bit longer in the lower face

+1

My guess is that instead of getting just 1-2 units into the levator nasi superioris muscle to improve your gummy smile, you got more. The muscles in the lower face can be very sensitive to Botox, so one must be conservative. Your smile will return to normal, but it will take 4-6 months.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox for Upper Lip. Will My Smile Return?

+1

Hi Mistral.  We agree with the other practitioners that your smile should be back just as it once was as soon as the Botox wears off.  

We usually see less duration in the area you are speaking about, the upper lip.  Normally the Botox we inject in this area only lasts about 6-8 weeks, but it may be that we are injecting much smaller doses and hence the upper lip weakness you show in the after picture.  

Give it some more time and everything should work at as hoped. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox is not permanent.

+1

Can Botox be permanent?  No, it cannot be permanent. You may alter your ways of expressing your face movements while under the influence of Botox and subconsciously never reverting back to the old ways when it wears off but this is different then the Botox not wearing off. It will wear off every time.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon