Is Botox Ever Permanent?

I have a tendency to squint or have my eyes closed while pictures are being taken and a pretty gummy smile. In October, I had Botox injections around my eyes and right between my nose and upper lip. Long story short I like the way the eyes turned out but I can't smile now unless I completely force it. I'm worried that I won't be able to smile again because I've read here that Botox should wear off within 4 mos, this is my 3rd month. Are the effects of Botox ever permanent?

BOTOX PHOTOS: Botox is not permanent

+3

I have never seen the effects of botox to be permanent. Anything is possible but this is highly unlikely and in most instances, its effects should be competely dissipated by 6 months.

Botox effect lasts three months

+1
Botox effect lasts three months.  Although BOTOX itself is out of your body in a few hours, it takes about three months for the nerve endings to rebuild their ability to stimulate muscles.  Thus the effect of BOTOX is never permanent

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Permanent Botox?

+1
Botox does not achieve permanent results. In a month or two, your pre-treatment smile will return so you don't have to worry!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Is Botox Permanent

+1

No. No. No. When used in the face, results typically last 3-4 months and occasionally longer. I have not seen any published studies showing long-term results.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox always wears off

+1

Botox always wears off.  Different patients have different durations, but typically it wears off between 3 and 6 months.  Be patient for a while longer. 

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Permanent Botox?

+1

Thank you for the question. You do not have anything to worry about because the effects of Botox are never permanent.

The effects of Botox are never permanent

+1

The effects of Botox routinely last 3-4 months.  Occasionally, the effects can last shorter or longer depending on each individuals metabolism of the product.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox effect is temporary

+1
Botox is by its nature not permanent. It will wear off but lasts longer In some patients than in others depending on your muscle tone, number of times you have undergone treatment and the amount injected.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox is not permanent!

+1

The science of Botox is that it is a protein molecule that irreversibly binds to receptors used for muscle contraction. Theoretically, then, Botox should indeed be "permanent," right? Actually, every person's body makes new receptors, at slightly different rates, which is why Botox "lasts" longer for some and not others--those who make new receptors faster find their Botox "lasts less long," whereas those who make receptors more slowly have their Botox effect for a month or two longer.

You will eventually return to completely normal! This may take up to two or three more months, but should gradually get better over time as your body repopulates the receptors around your mouth. Next time, use less!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox lasts a bit longer in the lower face

+1

My guess is that instead of getting just 1-2 units into the levator nasi superioris muscle to improve your gummy smile, you got more. The muscles in the lower face can be very sensitive to Botox, so one must be conservative. Your smile will return to normal, but it will take 4-6 months.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist