How Long Should I Wait After my Intial Botox Treatment to Receive my Second?

I just received my first treatment (which went well:) and know the effects of Botox last about 3 - 4 months. My question is should I wait for the effects to wear off, or at least start to wear off prior to receiving my second treatment, or should I just schedule my next appt. at 3 (or 4) months? Any advantages or disadvantages to either approach?

How often Botox is a persona decision

+2

Some patients don't want to feel and see the early wrinkles returning- so for them reinjection at3-4 months is ideal. However many other patients want to stretch the treatments so they may come back when it has mostly worn off but may still have some residual effect at 4-6 months. In some cases after repeated injections we still see residual improvement up to one year later.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Patients Should Wait Before Receiving Their Next Botox Treatment

+1

There is really no set rule or standard practice which governs the amount of time that patients should wait before getting another injection.

If individuals are concerned about their appearance and do not want their frown lines, crows feet or forehead lines to resume, it might be best for them to get injections according to scheduled time intervals.

If patients choose to wait until the Botox wears off, this is also an acceptable decision. However when the Botox does wear off, the muscles will continue contributing to the development of static etched lines on the face. So it may not be best to wait too long.

I recommend that you discuss your objectives and concerns with your doctor. Together the two of you can work on coming to a decision based on both scenarios.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Frequency

+1

I like to have my Botox patients return at 1 month for a full second Botox treatment...after that it's between 4-6 month intervals on average.

Botox scheduling

+1

The recommendations are to retreat at 3 months.  I have seen patients that have gone 4 to 5 months.  I always recommend to follow up at their 3 to 4 months post treatment to see the amount of movement and return of facial lines.  It is very individualized and truly depends on what your goals are.  If you are wanting complete resolution of lines or prevention of lines than I would advise to return as soon as you see movement but not less than 3 months. 

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Botox treatment should be repeated in 12 weeks after initial treatment

+1

Botox treatment should be repeated in 12 weeks after initial treatment because the drug is no longer bound to its muscle receptor. If the treatment is not repeated its effects wear off and the next treatment will be in effect starting over.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox - Consistency is Key!

+1

In my experience, when you are just starting your Botox treatments and your muscles are at their strongest, I recommend repeating your Botox every three to four months. Although individual cases vary depending on the treatment area, the dose used, and the desired level of activity, three to four months tends to be when the treatment is starting to wear off but your muscles have not yet regained full mobility. I prefer to repeat the treatment before your muscles have regained all of their strength because if you consistently keep your muscle activity quiet, eventually you will experience a longer term result and require less drug to keep the muscle activity suppressed. After a few sessions, you may be able to extend your treatment interval to five or six months and/or decrease the dose. However, if you allow your muscles to regain their full movement before touching up, you will not experience a longer term result and your dosing will not likely change.

Consult with an experienced Dermatologist of Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to determine the appropriate treatment schedule for you.

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Should I wait Between Botox Treatments?

+1

Hi WiGuy.  The choice about when to return to your next Botox injection is a personal one and there is no simple answer.

We have patients that come back religiously every three months because these patients do not want any lines to appear before having the treatment again.  Others will wait until they start to see lines creep back before they come in and others still just have the injections around their important events.  Let how you feel about your appearance guide your decision.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botulinum toxin will last about 3 months

+1

I would recommend waiting until you start seeing unacceptable amounts of movement of wrinkles before returning for repeat injections. Otherwise, you're just wasting your hard-earned money. With this being your first injection you really don't know how long you will see benefits. It could be greater or less than 3 months.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

The timing of botulinum toxin injections.

+1

In my experience it has lasted 3-5 months so I typically have most patients schedule a follow up injection at 4 months. In some instances my patients have reported longer results with Dysport so that I have injected them at 5 months. However, variations in the longevity of the results do vary and treatments are adjusted appropriately for the individual.

Make Botox work for you.

+1

Use Botox as your servant. If it is giving you the results you want then do nothing. Repeat Botox as soon as it seems to be losing its ability to keep you happy with the wrinkle reduction. In 2 -3 days it will be working fully again. You could wait until all the benefit disappeared but why do so? Probably having Botox every 4-5 months is what works for a lot of people but it is OK to individualize it so you get it whenever you see those unwanted lines coming back.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon