Full Tummy Tuck Belly Button Untouched?

I had a FTT 4 days ago. I have a hip to hip incision and 2 drains. However, my belly button is untouched.. I am very short waisted so it looks fine, the placement is perfect. My question is everything I read about untouched belly buttons say that it is a mini TT. I definitely needed a full as I had a pouch above my BB.. Has anyone ever heard of a FTT without touching the BB?

Belly Buttons and Tummy Tucks

+2

Every patient and every doctor is different.  You pay your doctor to use best judgement.  You are correct that in general we always relocate the belly button in doing a complete tummy tuck.   The big question at this point is are you pleased with your result.  If you are happy then all is well.  If you have bulging above the belly button then you have a problem,.   In general I cannot imagine a full tummy tuck that does not mandate belly button relocation for a best result.   Relocating the belly button allows removal of all of the skin up to and above the belly button.   Even the opening of the old belly button location is removed 98% of the time.   In addition, liposuction is safe and should be done at the same time to get the best results.   I do not know why your surgeon choose to not relocate you umbilicus along with all that it entail.  It is important that you visit your surgeon and get an explanation that makes sense.  See the surgeon directly and not some other member of the staff.  You paid the surgeon and the surgeon owes you answers to your questions.  My best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

It sounds like you are happy with the result. Your surgeon may have used a technique you are not familiar with .Ask your doctors at your next appointment what was done. Congrats on your result.Thomas Narsete, M.D.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Untouched Belly Button with Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

+1

Sounds like you had an umbilical transposition. There are many ways to perform surgeries and a few ways to handle the belly button. In your case your surgeon did nothing wrong, they just did not discuss the technique used. Sometimes we change our minds during a procedure and this could have happened in your case. Your belly button was cut across beneath the abdominal wall and when your skin was pulled tight it was brought down and secured to your abdominal wall in it's new position. If you are happy then nothing else is needed.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Umbilical translocation type abdominoplasty

+1

Your plastic surgeon should have or may have discussed the operative plan with you during your consultation or pre-operative exam.  If you had a minimal problem above the umbilicus you may of had an umbilical translocation.  Instead of cutting around the umbilicus externally the umbilical stalk is transected at the level of the fascia and can be moved down about 2 cm and still appear normal.  It is possible that this method was used for your case.   If you are happy with the result then you have your answer. I pay particular attention to the umbilicus in every abdominoplasty since it is the most visible area.  The low transverse scar can be hidden with  your underwear or bathing suit.  Patient satisfaction is the goal of every plastic surgeon.  

Full Tummy Tuck Belly Button Untouched?

+1

Sounds like you are pleased with the outcome.

There are several possibilities that I can think of. Your surgeon may have tightened the upper abdomen despite not releasing the navel. Another is that the navel may have been lifted off the abdominal wall and then returned to its original position, or to a slightly lower one. 

A question like this should bed directed to your surgeon. 

Too Late

+1

Concentrate on getting well --- it's too late to worry about what your doctor did. You should have known about this before the surgery, not try to deal with it after.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Baby Mickey.  Tummy tucks are not necessarily defined by the handling of the belly button.  Most surgeons define them by the length of the proposed scar and/or the time it will take to do the procedure.  If you have a good final shape, then the surgeon did a good job regardless of what it was called.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon