Csection Scar and How to get Rid of the Skin Above It? (photo)

Hello I have had three csections and my last was 8 years ago. I am an extremely fit woman with great abds but I have this skin over the scar can I have it removed or fixed. The scar itself is fine but the skin above it bothers me. Thanks 

update:

I am quite surprised I may need a mini tummy tuck. My stomach is very flat and I have a six pack so the tuck part is scarey to me. i would love to hear other alternatives to this. I thought i may just have to open the skin and have it pulled again without going into muscle.

Laxity and contours associated with C-sections can be improved.

+2

Your concerns are very common and the solutions is usually a mini tummy tuck to tighten the lower abdomen. Non-surgical solutions are much less effective when the skin has lost a lot of it's natural tone. In some situations these modalities may be recommended in our practice but only after an examination to see what is the best approach for you.

If surgery is recommended you will need about 2 weeks aways from your obviously very active and fit lifestyle.

Dr. Mosher

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Just a little nip and tuck

+2

From your picture, it seems that all you need is to remove a long football-shaped piece of skin along with the scar.  With a little undermining, the subcutaneous fat can be brought back together in order to get rid of the indented appearance.  This is a relatively small operation that can be done with local anesthesia while you are awake.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Csection Scar and How to get Rid of the Skin Above It?

+2

Need better photos posted. But at least mini tummy tuck is in order. Seek in person evaluations to determine the surgery you need.

C-section and scar

+1

Sometimes the tissue above the c-section scar does not redrape well or is tethered in some way. A scar revison and a small amount of skin excision may help.

C-section scars

+1

As a scar heals, it tends to contract downward.  This can lead to a depressed scar which can, by extension, make the surrounding tissue look fuller.  It is difficult to tell from your picture if this is the case.  With most c-section scars, the options would be to revise the scar itself, possibly with a small mini-tummy tuck to pull down any excess skin +/- a little bit of liposuction in the area.  A doctor examining you in person will be in a better position to advise you on which would work best for you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck for Post Pregnancy Changes

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a good solution for the abdominal changes of pregnancy in the mother with good weight control, toned abdominal muscles and skin excess that is limited to the lower abdomen.  Your photo shows that you are fit with well defined musculature.  You may not require any work on the muscles themselves, but skin excision with undermining of surrounding tissues may give you all that you want to be able to show off your "six-pack abs".

Mary Lee Peters, MD

C-section scar revision

+1

You can call it a mini tummy tuck or a scar revision but the goals are the same-remove the old scar and some of the extra skin just above the scar and realign the different layers of the skin in the scar. That can be done without doing anything to the underlying muscle.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

Your question is quite common. Your plastic surgeon will probably remove the c-section scar, loosen up the skin above it and pull that loose skin down to tighten it and make a new lower scar. You can never remove a scar, but you can improve it and this should be a relatively easy fix with little discomfort. It will require refraining from the gym for a little while.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Uneven C section scar

+1

From your photographs it appears that you have a problem that should be easily solved. The multiple c sections have resulted in scarring in the same location and a depressed abdominal scar. This can be remedied by removing the scar and excess skin and creating an even and flat lower abdomen. All of this should be confirmed in a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Excess Skin above C-section Scar?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Wow!  You should be very proud of the appearance of your abdominal wall. Removal of the excess skin above the C-section should be a relatively straightforward operation involving excision of the redundant/overlapping skin through the previous C-section scar.  Abdominal wall muscles work will not be necessary.