Is it safe to get Lipo/bbl if you have Fibromyalgia?

Safe to undergo cosmetic procedures with Fibromyalgia

+2

Dear Cassidy,

Medical clearance is not necessary to undergo any type of cosmetic procedure if you have FM. Unfortunately, many of my patients suffer from this chronic pain syndrome and they have all done quite well. I have noticed that they tend to have an issue with lower pain thresholds than healthy patients. It also takes them longer for their post op pain to resolve. Others with FM do not have a problem at all. So, it seems that it varies depending on the severity of your FM symptoms. I hope this helps.

Dr. H 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Fibromyalgia and elective surgery

+2
I would recommend that this question be posed to your rheumatologist or other treating physician as he will be required to provide you with medical clearance. One issue which does arise is the need to be off various pain medications preoperatively and, for many patients with arthritis or fibromyalgia, this is literally impossible and may preclude surgery . Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD