Can I Have Restylane Injections with Crohns Disease and Psoriasis?

I have both Crohns Disease and Psoriasis. I am a poor candidate for Restylane? Please reply immediately. I am scheduled for an injection tomorrow morning and I am very nervous.

Any injectable filler in the setting of an auto-immune disease can cause a problem

+1

Restylane is not contraindicated with Crohns disease or psoriasis, but any injectable filler in the setting of an auto-immune disease can cause a problem. Treatments like Restylane should be done with caution and preferably when the disease is not active and is under control.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial fillers and crohn's disease

+1

I always recommend that patients with medical problems such as yours to discuss these issues with your GI or medical doctor first. 

Restylane injections with Crohns disease and psoriasis

+1

A  non medical treatment is not always needed if you are a true Crohn's patient. PLEASE, discuss with your GI doctor first! If you have a written medical clearance from this doctor than I would treat. From MIAMI Dr. B

This requires a frank and open discussion with your physician.

+1

Dear Poopsie

Drs. Placik and Oppenheim are correct.  The immunosuppression that is sometimes used to treat these conditions may raise a concern with regard to treatment.   However, your medical conditions are not among those conditions for which these treatments should be specifically avoided.  It simply comes down to a judgement call between you and your physician.  If you are seeing an ethical injector, they will discuss your medications with you.  They may advise you that you are potentially at a high risk for a localized skin infection or reaction to treatment.  Depending on the details of your health status, they might even recommend deferring treatment if your disease activity is in a flare.  I have treated stable patients with your health issues without problems.  However, this is a call you and your healthcare provider will make based on how you are doing.  

Restylane and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's)

+1

IF you are acitvely experiencing an acute flare of IBD and on medications, I would consider deferring your treatment until you are in remission.

Probably Not a Problem

+1

This should not be a problem with one possible proviso. If you are on an immunosupress ive medication, such as one of the biologics, I would not advise Restylane injections. If you are on one of the immunosupressive it would be important to mention this to your physician. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Restylane injection in a patient who has Crohn's and psoriasis

+1

There is no direct concern between injecting the filler and having the intestinal disease, Crohn's, or psoriasis. Co-existent diseases can worsen the immune system and the risk of complications theoretically increase because of this.

Ronald Shelton, MD