Cost for Otoplasty for One Ear to Correct a Slight Lop Ear (Age 6)

average cost in Altanta to correct a slight lop ear deformity on one ear. Our 6 year old son will already be under general anthes. for removal of a Nevus Sabaceous of Jassadohn on the back of his head. Just curious on how much extra it will be having them fix his ear will be while he is already under. The removal of the nevus is medically necessary, as it can turn into basal cell carcimona on him later on. His lop ear is not bad, he just missing a small peice of cartilage on the outer ring.

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Cost for Otoplasty

The costs for otoplasty varies significantly around the country. Our cost for otoplasty ranges from $2500 to $5000 + MD Anesthesia Related Costs (if necessary). More expensive cities such as New York or Los Angeles or areas with fewer board certified plastic surgeons may be more expensive.

To maximize value while maintaining quality, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own AAAASF nationally accredited facility, These surgeons must maintain the highest quality to keep the accreditation, have greater incentive to ensure a higher caliber of staff who detailed knowledge of plastic surgery procedures, will maintain comfortable and safe operating facilities to maximize patient referral, and ensure minimal waste to keep costs to a minimum.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Six years old may be too young for Otoplasty Surgery.

In general, Otoplasty Surgery is performed on children 7 yrs. or older: usually after your child starts school. You could certainly consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see whether this combination procedure would be feasible for your son. You can get a list of local board-certified physicians at

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lop ear repair cost

This question is almost impossible to answer, as a lot of it depends on your insurance.  You can ask your surgeon to see if he can get the otoplasty part covered by insurance.  If not, you'll probably have to pay out of pocket.  If it's just one ear and a small procedure, I wouldn't imagine any surgeon charging very much. The good thing is that since your son is already going under general anesthesia for a medically necessary procedure, insurance will cover most of the anesthesia/OR which is usually pretty expensive.  

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

All is favor say Ear...

To correct a congenital ear deformity a 6 year old most likely has to undergo general anesthesia.  The child should also be evaluated by and ENT doctor, who will obtain a hearing test to ensure no functional components are effected. 

If you haven't already done so check with your insurance company .  The congenital deformity may covered by your insurance company and a local Otolaryngologist. 

If not covered understand the cost will include anesthesia, operating room fees and surgeons cost.  I cannot speak for your region but for NC is begins at about 2k.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lop ear repair.

Lop ear is treated using a variety of approaches ranging from cartilage flaps to grafts. The cost will depend on the technique and the time. Contact your pediatric plastic surgeon and request a quote as well as a predetermination of benefits letter to your insurance carrier.