Does Cost of Liposuction Depend on How Much Fat You Want to Remove?

I am looking to lose a couple of stubborn pounds around my midsection, and since it is such a small amount I dont want to be paying several thousands of dollars if I dont have to. If i have only literally 2 or 3 lbs to lipo, will it be the same price as if I had say, 30? if not, approximately how much would it typically cost?

Cost of liposuction

+1

LIposuction costs depend primarily on the number of areas treated, the type of liposuction, the time for anesthesia, and the type of anesthesia.  Volume does not play a factor in the pricing of liposuction. 

+1

Liposuction is virtually the only operation for which my staff cannot provide a price over the telephone.

The cost mainly depends on the duration of the operation, since the surgeon bills for his or her time and the clinic usually charges a time-based fee for the operating room.

The length of a liposuction operation depends on the number of areas to be treated, and whether position changes are required. Many procedures involve turning the patient face-down. This alone can add 30 minutes to the operative time.

Finally, there are geographic variations in the costs of aesthetic surgery.

Of course it will be worth your while to spend what you need to in order to be looked after by an experienced and compassionate surgeon. Do your research.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction costs and amount of fat removed

+1

The cost of liposuction surgery is not usually based on the weight of the fat removed.  Costs of liposuction are usually based on the number of areas to be liposuctioned, the amount of time the procedure will take, and whether or not the procedure will be done under general anesthesia and therefore require an anesthesiologist.  In my practice, as in many cosmetic surgery practices, we offer free consultations in which the price of the surgery can be determined before any commitment is made by the patient.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction pricing

+1
Liposuction does not remove very much in the way of pounds; it is for body contuoring. Plastic surgeons do not liposuction 30 pounds. I think that you need to review the purpose and concepts of the procedure in more detail. The pricing is based upon the length of the procedure, the physician's overhead expenses, and the local market.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Dont settle for cheap liposuction

+1

Liposuction cost is determined in part by the cost of OR fee, the staff, the monitoring of patients during the procedure, the complexity of the procedure as some patients are going thru it the second or maybe even the third time and several other factors might be involved as well. select your surgeon wisely, not the cost 

Misbah Khan, MD

Avoid Cheap Liposuctions. You will regret it!

+1

Liposuction of the abdomen and hips or sides typically run around $5-6,000 on special from an experienced liposuction surgeon who does the tumescent local technique with the micro cannulas. I feel it gives the best results but is expensive due to the skill and time involved but truly worth it.  Because of all the problems seen now-a-days with  laser lipos, they are probably the cheapest and I would recommend avoiding them and also any that still do the old method traditional lipo under general anesthesia.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The cost of liposuction covers time and equipment, not weight.

+1

Usually liposuction is priced according to the area you want done. The amount of time for an area will not vary that much if it is done thoroughly, how much fat is removed depends upon how much is there and how skilled the surgeon is. 

As stated below, the cost is to cover the business running costs such as staff, overheads and equipment. No matter how much fat is removed those costs still exist for the surgeon to carry out the procedure. Prices vary greatly between locations and surgeons. Prices will be lower if liposuction is dine in office under local anesthetic.

Sofia K. Kirk, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not priced like the delicatessen

+1

Generally, these do not vary depending upon the amount is removed. Mostly it is the time it takes for the procedure, and the amount of sites that require liposuction. And by the way, is not the procedure for weight loss. You'll be best to consult a nutritionist to lower your BMI prior to surgery.

John E. Sherman, MD

Liposuction is not priced by the pound

+1

There are lots of non-plastic surgeons out there doing liposuction and even some folks who aren't trained in any form of surgery at all.  These may tempt you with a great deal but be very wary.  Nobody prices liposuction by the pound, just by either time or area.  Regardless of how much you have to remove, the costs to the doctor are still there in equipment, staff salaries, leasing of space, insurance, etc.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS