How Bad Are the Lipo Scars? Do They Require Stitches?

Liposuction scars

+1
There are incisions made during liposuction and they will be closed with sutures. Non-absorbable sutures are removed at 7-10 days. At the time the sutures are removed, a steri-strip will be placed over the incision. Once the steri-strip starts to curl up at it’s edge, you can remove it the rest of the way and throw it out. After the steri-strips are removed, no dressing will be required over the incision. You can then begin to apply scar treatments, such as silicone cream or sheeting. These help improve the appearance of the scar. You should avoid direct sunlight to the incision line as this may result in pigmentation changes. This is particularly true during the first year after the surgery. Never expose the incision to sunlight without sunblock - use SPF 15 or greater.
Scars will initially be red and a little raised, but over 3-6 months they usually get lighter in colour and flatten out.

Liposuction Scars explained

+1

Over the years the number of incision sites has decreased without compromise of results. There is no absolute number of incisions that need to be made - just enough to give the best result which will vary from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon. Incisions sites for liposuction are typically very small and made in stealth areas - that is hidden as much as possible. I prefer fine absorbable stitches to leave a fine scar. For example inside the belly button, umbilicus, to approach the upper and lower abdomen, just at the pubic hair line for the lower tummy and pubis area, in the groin crease for the inside of the thighs (medial thighs), at the gluteal, buttock, crease for the lower back, in the breast crease for the fat beneath your arm (lateral chest wall), in the crease below your chin for liposuction of the neck. I also like to place them at the edge of a tattoo or in an existing scar (for example C-Section or appendectomy, or mole removal scar) so that they are hidden, or use the open area from an additional surgery I may be doing. For example, during a tummy tuck incisions are made to do liposuction in the area of redundant skin to be removed so that there are no extra scars.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lipo scars unnoticable if closed with sutures...

+1

In my practice I close all of my liposuction incisions with sutures.  I find this ensures that the skin edges are appropriately aligned which prevents step offs or unevenness that can make the scar much more noticeable.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lipo scars

+1

Liposuction scars are small (3-5mm), usually pretty easy to hide in many areas, and typically closed with a single non-visible and absorbable stitch in my hands. Hope that helps, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Liposuction Incision Healing?

+1

Liposuction incisions generally are very small. Placement of the incisions is important to keep them as an conspicuous as possible.  Every attempt is made to keep the incisions so that they are hidden in a swimsuit and/or undergarment- an incision that is hidden in the clothing line generally does not bother patients.  Keeping the incisions posteriorly placed,  relatively low and not symmetrical is also helpful.

Like many  things in plastic surgery,  communication with your plastic surgeon will be helpful in determining the most acceptable location of incision lines.

Liposuction scars are small and heal very well.

+1

The openings used to put the liposuction cannulas in are very short ( 3 to 6 mm) and are a made by a puncture with a scalpel blade, so the edges are clean.  Some doctors close the incisions with a stitch and some leave them open to close by themselves.  Both approaches give excellent results.  For many areas which are liposuctioned the small openings can be hidden in the natural creases of the body making them even more hidden. 

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

How Bad Are the Lipo Scars? Do They Require Stitches?Answr:

+1

The incisions for Lipo are usually just a little stab and they usually heal very well...I used to suture the incisions closed but I stopped a few years ago and found that I thought they healed better and I liked that the fluid (and blood!...gross) was able to drain out...Better out than in!!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lipo scars

+1

The incision for most liposuction cannulas is small about 0.5 cms or slightly larger.  They usualy heal quite well.

Liposuction scarring

+1

Scarring from liposuction is probably the least visible, smallest scarring you can get in a surgery.  I personally suture the skin because I find that this achieves the best possible scarring.  The incisions are extremely small (less than 1/2 inch each) and generally fade out, by the end of a year, to be virtually invisible.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How visible are Liposuction Scars?

+1

If properly placed, Liposuction scars will be inconspicuous. They are usually designed to be hidden under a bathing suit when possible or at least the most hidden area adjacent to the area being suctioned. The scar quality itself is usually good but some scars may raise slightly in individuals prone to excessive scar formation. Most scars should be no longer then 3-4 millimeters. As for sutures, I typically use a single absorbable suture and a steri-strip to close the incisions. Some doctors leave the incisions open - some don't. I've tried both ways and prefer to close incisions. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO