How Much Would It Cost to Have my Hanging Columella Fixed?

I've hated by beak like nose since I was little and made fun of for it, I am now 17. I suffer from low self esteem due to it and have wanted it fixed for a long time. I know my nose is not perfectly straight but I don't wish to have a full surgery with the bruising and all to correct everything unless needed. Basically what I would like to know is if I only had my columella fixed would my nose look okay or would I need further surgery? And the approximate cost to just have my columella fixed.

Hanging Columella

+2

From these photos your nose looks pretty straight to me however you do have what I call a "Tethered Nose". What I mean by this is that your nasolabial angle(where your upper lip stops and your nose starts) is very obtuse. This is not a true "hanging columella" which is usually a post surgical consequence but has to do with a prominent nasal spine and usually a strong depressor septae muscle. These patients usually have a plunging nasal tip accentuated with smiling. All rhinoplasties are different requiring different maneuvers to achieve the desired result. I would consult with a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area and discuss your desires and allow him or her to explain what would be involved. If you are comfortable with the surgeon and agree with the plan, then go for it! Prices vary greatly based on your locale.

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost to fix hanging columella

+1

A columelloplasty is a simple procedure that can be done under local anesthesia.  It is a simple procedure where by both membrane and cartilage are trimmed in the appropriate fashion inside the columella on both sides to tuck the columella inwards and upwards.  This prevents columella show.  The cost for a columelloplasty is approximately $3000 and is done as an outpatient procedure.  

Nose Surgery, Rhinoplasty

+1

It seems your " hanging columella" and nostril show, would partially improve your nasal appearance . It is relatively a none complicated surgery and should not cost you more than $ 2,000.00. However if you are interested to have a more balanced nose, a complete rhinoplasty may give you more improvement. In my opinion slight tip rotation and a conservative dorsal reduction would produce a more balanced nose and add to your attractive profile.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella

+1

You have a number of issues going on in your tip columella lip junction. I would recommend that you have a consult with computer imaging to see what the changes would be like if you only addressed only an isolated area versus the entire complex. Prices will vary around the nation and will be affected by the scope of the surgery, whether you have local or monitored anesthesia etc. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging Columella - Cost

+1

You columella is not really the big issue here. The relationship between the bridge of the nose and your tip would probably benefit from being better balanced. Reducing the bridge, improving tip projection and reducing the angle your nose makes with the upper lip would all go a good way to balancing your nose. An experienced surgeon can work with you to determine what you are really looking for and all the options available as relates to surgical techniques. As for cost - that all depends on the extent of surgery, length of surgical time, anesthesia and o.r. charges, etc. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Hanging columella

+1

The first thing you mentioned is that you have always hated your "beak like" nose.  I think you are being hard on yourself, by the way.   Altering the columella will not do much to correct what is really bothering you.  Therefore, you should have have a consult with an expert rhinoplasty surgeon who can address all of your concerns.  Some surgeons (me included) have software that can help you get an idea what your nose might look like after surgery.  If you were in my office, I would show you how nice a bit of tip projection, profile reduction, and hanging columella reduction would make a very nice, natural change.  Don't have anything done to your nose until you are ready to do the whole thing.  I'm sure you would be back for more later, which costs more, takes longer, and has a more difficult recovery, depending on what was done the first time.  Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella

+1

In my opinionytou need to seee a good facial plastic surgeon with lots of experience. You need more than just columella work and should do only one surgery. Don't be afrads of a little bruising.  It goes away quickly and may not happen.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty for Columella Only

+1

It certainly is possible to only operate on your columella. Your photo suggests that your right ala meets the cheek slightly lower than on the left which likely leads to more columellar show from the left side. I think that you and your nose are best served with having only one rhinoplasty operation. Therefore, planning this your procedure is important. Raising the columella often requires shortening the end of your nasal septum by 1 or 2 mm. In addition, other rhinoplasty "moves" may be required for best improvement. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist (or two) before jumping into such a finesse procedure.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of hanging columella

+1

Prices for rhinoplasty vary depending on several factors and can't be determined without more and better photos.  Your rhinoplasty surgeon should give a clear and concise breakdown as to the surgeon's fees, operating room fees, anesthesia fees, and pathology fees if needed.

Your nose has more than a hanging Camella.  Of course, what really needs to be done can only be determined by a direct examination.  The nasal spine is prominent, there is some excess supra tip cartilage, columnar show, possible retracted ala and a mild asymmetry.  These may all need to be addressed.  A board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be able to address all of these concerns.

All the best.

David Alessi, MD

Repairing a hanging columella

+1

Improving your columella would certainly be possible. How extensive this would be would depend on your anatomy. Your frontal view seems to show that your columella is deviated to your right. This may be due to a deviation of your septum in this area. It also appears that your upper jaw bone is fairly prominent in the area where it meets your columella. This can also be addressed if you wanted.

You should visit with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you before and after photos of patients with similar issues. Costs can vary quite a bit based on your location, surgeon experience, length of surgery and whether it can be done in the office or needs to be done in an operating room.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD