Cost for Replacing Encapsulated Breast After 11 Years of Implants? (photo)

Hi... I awoke the other morning to an encapsulated breast.... maybe I'm oblivious but I truly had no warning signs. I went to see the doctor who originally did the surgery and am shocked at the cost. He wants to replace with high profile... I now have low profile 360cc filled to 395cc. He wants to re-do my breast lift as well. Can someone please tell me what the estimated cost would be in Orange County, Ca. Encapsulated breast is the left one. Thank you so much.

Cost for Replacing Encapsulated Breast After 11 Years of Implants?

+2

After reviewing the one posted photo I would offer this surgery in the range of $8,000 to $10,000 depending if use of saline vs silicone. Hope that helps 

Costs of Surgery

+2

The cost can vary from doctor to doctor, and from community to community.  It is legal and appropriate to bill insurance for the capsulectomy portion of the surgery, which might reduce the cost of the rest of the surgery, as well.  But the bottom line is you have a very common, but complex problem to fix. Looking for the lowest price is begging for a subsequent problem, or just general dissatisfaction with your surgical result.

Data is very clear when looking at complications after complex surgeries of other types: Good outcome is more likely and directly linked to the surgeon/hospital that does many of those procedures. The reality is that those of us that do these revision surgeries all the time are likely to be better trained, properly certified, and highly experienced in doing these surgeries, and that we will also likely not be inexpensive.

There are a number of options that can be entertained that will have an effect on your overall cost, and this can be discussed during a consultation.  Just one note, high profile implants will perpetuate the 'ball in sock' appearance you have now, and not provide any potential benefit to shape or 'perkiness', as so many (patients and surgeons) believe it does.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cost for Replacing Encapsulated Breast After 11 Years of Implants

+1
Implant exchange like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge $2800 + MD Anesthesia related costs for implant exchange with saline implants. Gel Implants tend to be about $1000 to $1500 more. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Encapsulation Surgical Cost

+1
The price varies greatly by geographical location, experience of the surgeon, whether in an outpatient surgery center vis hospital (hospital more expensive), type of breast implant,  whether in addtion to capsulectomy if conversion to a different location (e.g. submuscular converstion), type of lift and so on. High profile implants may not be the best for you and an exam and measurements are required before an opinion can be made. 

Make sure you go to the most experience board certified plastic surgeon you can find as breast revisional surgery can be complex, look at their reviews, before and after photos, and most important that you feel comfortalble after your consultation that you have confidence that you are safe. 
The cost range in Orange County for the surgeon's fee can range from $10,000 to $20,000.

Our practice specializes in Breast Revisional surgery and would recommend that you make sure that whomever you select that they also have a similar focus.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant replacement and lift

+1

The cost of a breast lift and implant replacement will vary from region to region.  The fees listed below are about right.

Cost for implant replacement with capsular contracture

+1

If your breasts were soft until you just woke up this morning with a firm breast, I would try saving surgery as a last resort.  I would recommend ultrasound treatments and Accolate as well as compression and Vit E for a few weeks to see if you could get some softening.  Have you had a recent illness? Sometimes a bacterial infection can get in your blood stream and settle around the implant.  The charges for capsulectomy & implant exchange will vary depending on whether you choose saline or silicone and if you re-do your lift- and that would be discussed at a consultation.  However the ranges quoted thus far are pretty typical.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery Costs

+1

Looking at your photos, I think that you would probably need a bilateral implant exchange with the left capsulectomy along with a full breast lift. Every area of the country is different in terms of pricing. At my practice, a surgery like this would range from $7000 to $9000 depending on the type of implant.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast revision

+1

Revision surgery of the breast is more involved than the primary surgery.  This requires more time in surgery and generally speaking a more experienced surgeon. Operating room and anesthesia costs are time dependent.
Although we all have to deal with economic realities bargain shopping for a revision surgery is a mistake. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in revision breast surgery when making your decision. The Realself portal has a link which can tell you the pricing for this type of surgery.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast capsules

+1

the surgery you need done is pretty involved.  It requires removal of the capsules most likely, along with a lift and new implants.  Silicone gel will be more costly than saline.  I would expect I would charge you a total of between 8000 and 9000 dollars.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Capsular contracture treatment

+1

You have sagged a little since your original implants. A little lift would be an improvement but not absolutely necessary. My first approach would be a closed capsulotomy (squeeze) which I do for nothing on previous patients. There's a 50/50 chance of correcting it in less than a minute without needing any surgery at all. If successful it requires an intensive program of massage by you for 2 or 3 months to maintain the correction. Most young plastic surgeons are not trained in this simple and effective manoever; and many are afraid of unintended consquences but there is nothing to fear. It works, it's simple and it's cheap! The worse thing that could happen is you need a revision surgery anyway. An open capsulotomy with remove & replace of larger salines would be $4741 at Lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery and a nipple lift at the same time would add $1400. Gel implants cost $1000 more.

Dr Foster

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon