Considering Cosmetic Surgery but I Have Mild Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction - Is It Safe?

I posted earlier about the same thing..at the time I didnt know the name of my condition..plz tell me how serious this is and if its a bad idea to go forward with surgery.. "Mild left ventricular systolic disfunction"

Safety of Cosmetic Surgery with "Mild Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction"

+2

Regarding: "Considering Cosmetic Surgery but I Have Mild Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction - Is It Safe?
I posted earlier about the same thing..at the time I didnt know the name of my condition..plz tell me how serious this is and if its a bad idea to go forward with surgery.. "Mild left ventricular systolic disfunction
"

Respectfully, "Mild left ventricular systolic disfunction"; It is just Cardiology double speak. It IMPLIES that the most important chamber in your heart is not functioning normally but is only MILDLY impaired. What does that mean?
- nothing if you are an athlete and even when running a marathon it is "mildly" abnormal
- everything if you are an overweight, diabetic with lung disease whose "mild" LV disease is associated with leg swelling, water in the lungs, inability to sleep on one pillow and a hard time walking one block without chest tightness.

Surgery is a strain to our system. Drops in blood pressure require the heart to pump faster and move blood around (with oxygen) quicker. If the left ventricle cannot increase its output due to "systolic dysfunction" you may sustain heart failure, heart attack or worse.

To REALLY know how the heart will behave when stressed, we put people through a STRESS TEST where the heart is imaged at rest and then with increasing physical demands to see how it behaves.  The amount of blood ejected with each beat (EJECTION FRACTION) and the way the heart walls move (MOTILITY) are seen and calculated. Based on these findings, Cardiologists pick patients who may need medications or even stenting or bypass BEFORE elective surgery.

The safety of any operation depends on your Ejection Fraction, heart motility, any co-existing disease, the length of the operation, expected blood losses and fluid shifts. Once all these questions are answered THEN it can be predicted how safe the operation may be.

Dr. Peter Aldea