Cosmetic Procedures to Get Rid of Strong Underarm Odors?

Are any kind of cosmetic procedures to get rid of strong underarm odors?

Since, I started puberty, I started having a strong odor under my arms which it hard to keep under control.

I buy expensive "clinical strength" deodrants and shower daily to keep it under control. Are any kind of cosmetic procedures to get rid of this problem?

Bromomhidrosis

+3

You are describing a condition called bromhidrosis.

There are some cosmetic procedures that are quite valuable, but I would recommend starting with simple, and far less expensive measures first.

Hygeine in the area such as thoroughly washing the axillary vault (the whole armpit), prompt removal of sweaty clothes, and the use of a deodorant ( rather than antiperspirant). Adherence to a regular shaving routine will minimize the growth of bacteria and sweat on the hair shafts. Electroylsis might help.

An antibacterial soap such as Lever 2000 or even Hibiclens wash will further limit bacteria. I usually prescribe Acanya in this area. It has topical Clinamycin and the Benzoyl Peroxide is only 2 1/2 % which is less irritating than the 5% found in Duac or Benzclin.

If hyperhidrosis ( excessive sweating) is a factor, then an OTC antiperspirant ( Mitchum is a good choice) or an aluminum Chloride product such as Drysol can be used. However, ameloriation of hyperhidrosis does nt reduce apocrine sweat production and it is actually the breakdown of apocrine sweat by bacteria ( forming foul smelling fatty acids) that causes bromhidrosis.

These measures usually work to control mild body odor. If you desire a more permanent treatment, a frequency doubled Q-switched laser is effective. Botox may also help, definitely with the eccrine production and perhaps, slightly with apocrine secretion. This would have to be repeated every 9 months.

Surgery can also be used in recalcitrant cases. However, this leads to scarring and often the bromhidrosis can recur. The apocrine glands are simply removed with the subcutaneous tissue.

Superficial liposuction curettage has also advanced as a therapeutic option. It is less traumatic since a smaller incision is used.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Procedures to get rid of strong underarm sweating odors?

+1

The most common cause is uncontrolled sweating. The use of Botox, usually 50U per arm pit, has worked wonders on many people with this problem.

http://www.cosmeticsurgeryspecialists.org/bodyprocedures/excessivesweating.html

I would strongly advise you to be examined and if present be treated for HYPERHYDROSIS with Botox. It may very well change your life for the better.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS