3 Weeks After CoolSculpting I'm Bigger than Before Surgery From Bloating, Normal?

Hi. I had CoolSculpting done three weeks ago. I know the results can take two to four months but I'm nervous that I still feel very bloated and bigger than before I had the treatment on my stomach and inner thighs. I have been very careful with my diet...even better than before treatment and exercise regularly with running, biking, and home workout videos? My weight is also up on the scale and not changing even though I'm following my Weight Watcher point system carefully? I'm scared.

Swelling and weight gain after CoolSculpting by Zeltiq

+2

Fluid retention is part of inflammation which occurs during the processing by your body of the dead fat cells from CoolSculpting by Zeltiq. It is probably the water that is being retained in the dermis and subcutaneous tissues that accounts for the weight gain despite your careful observation of your dietary caloric intake. Not everyone sees the gain that you've noticed, but continue to exercise and watch your meals and you should see the improvement in the next several weeks.

Swelling after Coolsculpting

+2

It sounds like you are swollen.  This is a normal part of the process.  The Coolsculpting treatment causes the fat cells to die.  As this happens, your body will begin an inflammatory response to remove these dead cells.  This will cause some swelling and sometimes some discomfort.  This would possibly explain the weight gain as well. But definitely contact and talk with your doctor.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Cool sculpting and swelling that remains

+1
I recommend compression for the swollen areas.

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

The discomfort from treatment does resolve. Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases. If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Swelling after CoolSculpting

+1

Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after the treatment though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. It sounds like you are experiencing swelling, which is normal and not permanent. You will experience the most dramatic results after two months. But your body will still flush out fat cells and continues doing so for up to four to six months after treatment.

Daniel Shapiro, MD