Why is There So Much Controversy over Silikon 1000 for Lips?

I am interested in permanent fillers but find many doctors warn against it because of migration or other potential risks. There are a couple of doctors here from up north who have outstanding outcomes so is it a matter of experience? How does one weigh the pros and cons?

Reason for Silicone 1000 Controversy

+10

All Plastic surgeons over a certain age have become used to a filler entering the market with great fanfare; popular magazines are filled with smiling women whose lips and wrinkles were lifted with the new magical filler "X". Just as happy Plastic surgeons, who were "the first" to subject their patients to filler "X," get free marketing by accompany some of their less inhibited and exhibitionist patients on TV talk show where they are lobbed easy questions by adoring hosts and their office phones ring off the hook for months. Then come one or two reports warning of problems with filler "X". No. That cannot be. We are assured by the "experts" - all of which are receiving money from Filler "X" manufacturer. It MUST HAVE been used improperly. Then, a series of patients comes out showing graphically why filler "X" actually has really regrettable hard to reverse long-term tissue changes. Filler "X" fades into the background but a few months later, People Magazine spots a certain Hollywood starlet who is truthfully more famous for either wardrobe malfunctions, what cult she belongs to or her boyfriend(s) may be or the fact that her chest keeps going up in size than the quality of her acting. The starlet "happens" to be leaving a certain doctor's office (just at the time her publicist told TMZ, Inquirer, Star and People) smiling and blowing air kisses with much fuller lips. Don't you know, God's gift to Plastic surgery inside, whose touch "transforms" women has just used filler "ZZ" on my lips - she purrs, while batting her eye lashes longingly at the flashing cameras. Next thing you know, the genius inside is on Oprah demonstrating several willing patients who had the magical filler ZZ while his colleagues across the country fall over themselves trying on everyone who asks. For now, filler "ZZ" is the winner.  Until, that is a year to three years later when the first bad report comes out and then - the cycle repeats itself.

All experienced Plastic surgeons over 60 years of age had seen or used "medical grade" silicone injection for tissue augmentation. At first it was fabulous, great, the best there ever was. Then came the scarring, the migration, the hard tissue, the drainage. Except for the ignorant and criminal, Plastic surgeons stopped using it for over 20 years. Until it came back again as Silicon 1000 and "micro droplet techniques". For the past 5 or so years, the usual filler buzz is on and the casualty count is rising.

Personally, I do not use permanent fillers, especially in the lip or under the lower lid because while a good result there is nice, a poor result is forever and cannot be reversed. You will be deformed.

By the way - forgive the following lines. Your photograph shows drooping upper eyelids on both sides with sleepy, tired eyes. It appears. You do not appear to have a transverse upper lid crease of the upper lid. This most commonly was caused by a dis insertion of the muscle lifting the upper lids and would be associated with difficulty seeing through the upper visual field and having to use the Forehead muscles to lift the brows as well as pushing your jaw up to rotate the head. You would get a fantastic and younger looking result from getting this fixed.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Cons of silicone injections in the lips

+6

I have had to remove about half of the upper lip in a patient who had silicone injections in the lip that evolved into what looked like a bunch of hard grapes.  She was impatient with the idea of temporary fillers and finally found a doctor who would use silicone.  Any wonder why most doctors don't do this??

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Silikon-1000 may be safely used by experienced physicians for natural-looking, permanent lip augmentation.

+2

Silikon-1000 is a permanent, off-label filler, so your results, good or bad, are permanent. My experience with Silikon-1000 for permanent, natural-looking lip augmentation has been excellent. Several treatments (1-3) are typically necessary to obtain a desired result, and in my practice, problems are infrequent. Tell your doctor if you have a history of frequent cold-sores or herpes-infections on your lips: you may need to be pre-treated with valcyclovir (Valtrex).

You must find a reputable dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the serial puncture, micro-droplet technique. You should also have a discussion with your doctor about the FDA's position with respect to using Silikon-1000 in an off-label fashion to enhance your lips. Lastly, you should see many before and after photos demonstrating beautiful results before you pick your doctor and proceed.

In my practice, Silikon-1000 is safe for permanent Lip Augmentation, and leads to completely natural-looking, smooth lips. In just about everyone, patient satisfaction is very high.

I've attached a link to an interview I did for the Lip Augmentation Forum here at RealSelf. During this interview, much of the controversy about silicone lip injections is addressed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from West Orange, NJ   

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reluctance of plastic surgeons to use Silikon 1000 for the lips.

+2

IF you are in practice long enough as a plastic surgeon, you are bound to see patients who have had complications from silicone injections to the lips performed quite commonly in the 60s. The use of silicone is very seductive for its ease and longevity. However, as much as the advantage of a good result is the permanency, the disadvantage of a permanent complication weighs most heavily in our minds and memories. Most physcians familar with Silikon 1000 are cautously optimistic about its use but are slow to implement in their practices.

Silikon 1000 Safe and Excellent Filler When Injected By Experts

+1

My experience using Silikon 1000 as a filler, off-label, for lip augmentation, facial rejuvenation, hand and earlobe rejuvenation and acne scarring has been nothing but great.  I was trained by the world's authority on the use of liquid injectable silicone (LIS), Jay G. Barnett MD, who happens to also be my father and partner.  When injected properly with the microdroplet, multiple injection technique by a well-trained, board-certified physician, silicone (Silikon 1000) is a superb and safe filler.  It is precise and permanent, and as it is injected conservatively, results in very natural-appearing augmentation/rejuvenation. The link below shows before and after photos of patients whose lips were augmented with silicone. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD