What Can I Do About the Constant Urge to Chew on my Invisalign Trays?

I have this constant urge to chew on my plastic invisalign trays. My jaws are always clenched and I am always chewing/grinding. Especially after the first week or so of wearing the trays, when the trays are a little looser. When I chew on them, they "pop" almost like popping chewing gum. It's driving me crazy and I am only on my 4th set of trays.

Biting on Invisalign aligners may speed bite correction.

+1

I can understand that chewing on  aligners can be frustrating and distracting. But, here's the good news -intermittent pressure on the teeth may actually speed the rate of their movement. In fact in our practice, if we detect that one or more teeth are lagging in their movement, we instruct patients to bite on a small plastic foam cylinder (chewie) to be certain the teeth are fully engaged in the aligners and to speed bite correction.

My guess is that with time you will adapt to the aligners and the temptation to chew on them will decrease. Until then, relax and let the aligners do their work!

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Give your new aligners time to adjust!

+1

If you just started invisalign then Im sure the chewing habit will subside over the next few weeks. Its having a foreign object in your mouth that takes some getting used to. Try to remind yourself with post its on your desk or car dash to relax your jaw and not chew them..You';ll get the hang of it...!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Mind over matter with Invisalign trays

+1

There is next to nothing that can be done to change the urge to chew the trays.  It is possible that nothing bad will happen if you DO, since they are replaced every two weeks. 

Short of taking medications, simply using "will power" is about all that can be done.

Web reference: http://www.bestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist