Compression Garment and Swelling After Laser Lipo in Chin/Neck

I am 4.5 weeks postop from Chin/Neck Lipo. When I do not wear my compression garment as tight or as often my neck has more of a slope to it. When I wear my garment tight and often my neck has less of a slope to it and appears more defined.

Is it swelling causing more of a slope when I wear my garment less and not as tight or is just the results of the surgery? Also, when I wear my compression garment tight and for a long period of time am I temporarily compressing my skin and fat?

Use of compression garment after Laser Lipo of chin and neck.

+2

Our office has the patients wear compression garments.  The idea is to have the skin attach to the muscle and underlying soft tissue.  It helps reduce swellling and fluid collections.  Please do talk to your plastic surgeon about his/her particular protocol and what he/she did in your particular case.  Please follow the directions.  Together you will achieve the best possible result.

Compression garment reduces swelling after Chin or Neck Liposuction.

+2

4-5 weeks after Neck or Chin Liposuction you still have swelling and inflammation in the neck tissues. The purpose of the neck compression garment is to reduce this swelling and help remodel or mold the tissues during healing.

The fact that you see such a difference when you do not wear the garment is telling you that continued compression is necessary.

At this stage I would think that wearing the garment at night time should suffice but be sure and check with your doctor.

Generally speaking, I advise my patients that we will not see the final results of Neck Liposuction until about 6 months after the procedure when I expect most if not all swelling gone and skin tightening to have occurred.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

You need support after Liposuction

+2

Dear Lostindc,

You need to use your garment with the appropriated tension to reduce the swelling after liposuction. This swelling occurs because of slow lymphatic drainage after liposuction. Wear you garment as prescribed so that you get the best outcome possible.

Good Luck..

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Compression Garments Following Liposuction of Chin & Neck

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop significant swelling following liposuction of the neck.  During this procedure liposuction cannulas are repeatedly passed through the subcutaneous tissue.  This process removes cores of fat, but also traumatizes the adjacent tissue and as a result causes swelling and occasionally skin laxity.

Compression chin straps are helpful in addressing these problems. Compression not only reduces swelling, but also helps remodel tissue and improves the contour of the jawline and neck.  In some cases, compression helps the skin adhere to the deeper structures and avoids the development of skin sag.

In most cases, we recommend the use of compressive chin straps day and night for at least one week following chin liposuction.  This is followed by chin strap usage at night for an additional 2 to 3 weeks.  In some situations, this approach may be modified based on the patient’s clinical response to compression.

Your history suggests continued skin sag whenever your chin strap is discontinued.  There are several possible explanations for this phenomena including inadequate compression in the post-operative period.  When this occurs, compression garments should be continued for longer periods of time.  In rare cases, hanging skin may be related to excess neck skin that probably would have been better treated with a facelift procedure.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to recommend an appropriate treatment plan.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

compression garments after liposuction of the neck

+1
  For simple liposuction of the neck and compression garment should probably be worn for the first to 3-5 days after the procedure.
 For a neck lift, we insert 2 Jackson-Pratt drains underneath the skin of the neck  to remove fluid/ blood. These drains are removed after 2-3 days and no compression garments are required. The neck left involves  removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle, and tightening the platysma muscle with a platysma-plasty. For many examples, please see the link below to our necklift  photo gallery

Neck lipo and swelling

+1

You are early in the healing process. It is normal for the colors of bruises to change as they heal. Its always best to have the starp on to reduce fluid accumulation. Swelling can remain for many months and the skin softens over time as well.

Raj S. Ambay, MD