Neck Still Partially Numb One Week After Lipo?

Had lipo, no skin removed, one week ago. My neck is still partically numb. Also, when I laugh, one side of my mouth feels like it's not working totally right. Is all this normal?

Numbness may persist for several weeks after chin liposuction.

+2

It is not unusual for the neck to feel numb in areas for several weeks after liposuction.  The nerves are not severed, but they can be bruised by the procedure and take a few weeks to fully recover.

Numbness 1 week after Neck Liposuction. Normal?

+1

You are only one week postsurgery.  You are still swollen and it is too early to say anything about the final result.  That being said, it is very normal to have decreased sensation and some asymmetry.  Nerves don't like to be pushed, squished, or otherwise.  It takes a while, (sometimes several weeks), for nerves to come back.  Nerve recovery is hard to predict.  Make sure you keep your surgeon informed.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Numbness after neck liposuction

+1

The numbness after neck liposuction is very common and I inform my patients about this before any neck procedures.  This happens as a result of the separation of the skin from the underlying tissue and stretching of the nerves during liposuction.  The nerves almost always return though in some patients it can take some time.  Likewise, the nerve to the corner of the mouth can be stretched or bruised in much the same way causing a transient crooked smile.  Nerves are generally slow to heal so it can take some time for function and sensation to return but most patients experience recovery as quick as 1 month and others may take up to 6 months, sometimes longer.  The good news is that things will get better.  Good Luck!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and weakness after neck liposuction

+1

After liposuction, it is typical to have areas of numbness for several weeks.  Most likely the numbness will resolve over the next few months.  In addition, the weakness of your lip is common after liposuction is performed under the chin.  This can also last a few weeks to a few months.  While nerve injury is possible, it is likely that the numbness and weakness will go away.  I would not be worried one week after your procedure. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Nerve Injury After Liposuction

+1

Numbness after liposuction is normal. One week is very early in the healing process and I would expect the feeling to return over time though some permanent numbness is always possible. As to the crooked smile, this is more concerning. This may be due to swelling or actual nerve damage. Unfortunately time will tell if this will resolve or not but not much can be done in either event.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mouth weakness after Chin or Neck Liposuction may indicate nerve injury, see your doctor

+1

Numbness of the neck skin after Chin or Neck Liposuction is common and usually resolves although sensory nerve healing takes a long time, possibly many months.

Weakness of one side of the mouth and a crooked or asymmetrical smile may indicate injury to the Marginal Mandibular Nerve, a motor nerve which controls the mouth. This nerve runs very superficial near the corner of the mouth and can be injured if liposuction is done near or through the corner of the mouth.

Fortunately when this injury does occur it is usually temporary and mouth function with a symmetrical smile returns between 3-6 weeks.

However you should see your doctor to bring this to his attention. In some cases a DC Electric Stimulator can be used to preserve muscle function and speed recovery if your function has not returned by 6 weeks.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Chin Liposuction

+1

Wagner2167,

Thanks for the question.  It is not unusual at all to have numbness following liposuction.  At one week, you are very early in the healing process.  The numbness may take several weeks to completely resolve, and should not cause alarm.  The crooked smile is typically secondary to bruising or stretching of the marginal mandibular nerve. This, again, can take several weeks to resolve. If you have concerns, I recommend following up with your surgeon.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Numbness and smile issues resolve over time

+1

One week after surgery is very early--you still have swelling.  The numbness you have should resolve over time (can take weeks or even sometimes a few months).  The smile issue you have is usually related to swelling around the motor nerve to the lower lip--this also should resolve over time, but may take longer than the numbness to improve. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Skin numbness and asymmetrical laugh resolve in time

+1

It is common for skin in the treated area to be numb for months after liposuction.  The feeling that one side of your mouth is not working correctly is most likely due to temporary paralysis of a nerve that controls a muscle of the mouth called the marginal mandibular nerve.  It can be traumatized or cut (rarely) during liposuction of the neck.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Partial Numbness after liposuction of the neck

+1

It is possible to have numbness after liposuction of the neck. This is one of the known competitions of this procedure. This may be due to a stretching of one of the nerves in your neck. Keep in mind, that it is uncommon that a nerve was permanently cut in your neck during this procedure. Most likely, one of the superficial nerves of the neck may have been stretched or bruised. If this is the case, this nerve will heal on its own and your sensation should return. During this process you may notice tingling in your neck as the nerve continues to heal.

Pat Pazmino, MD