5 Weeks Post-Op Liposuction, Compression Garment Is No Longer Tight on Me, Should I Invest In a Smaller One?

I'm 5 weeks post op of liposuction on abdomen, hips, and inner& outer thighs. My compression garment isn't tight anymore, but my surgeon didn't prescribe me a 2nd stage smaller size garment. I was wondering if it is necessary for me to get one? Will I still get the best possible result if I dont get one?

Compression garments

+1

There are no hard and fast rules about how long a patient needs to wear compression garments after surgery. My patients are generally out of compression garments at this point. If you feel better with them on buy a smaller garment but otherwise look forward to enjoying your new slimmer shape!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Garment wearing after liposuction

+1

You should check with you surgeon to find out what his/her recommendations are about wearing another compressive garment at 5 weeks post liposuction. Personally, my patients do not wear a garment at this point in time as I don't feel that it will affect the outcome.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Compression garment after liposuction

+1

I recommend that patients wear the garment full-time for three weeks and then three weeks part-time for torso and extremity liposuction.  At this point, you've achived almost the full therapeutic course so I would not invest in another garment.   Spanx or other compressive undergarments should be all you need at this point.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Garment after lipo

+1

I am a firm believer in garments after lipo for at least a month.  Now this doesn't mean the heavy duty one immediately post-op but something like spanx type garment, any brand.  This usually works well and provides comfort and compression.  Good luck with your results, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton FL

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction

+1
Dear Tavia, At 5 weeks post liposuction you may not need another garment, most of the swelling post op has subsided. This should not affect your results. Best, Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Wear garment 3-5 days after liposuction

+1

For over ten years I have told patients that they are asked to wear the garment 24 hours after the drainage stops. This ususally ends up being three to five days. Wearing the garment longer may be helpful for comfort and support but does not improve results.

For those that want to wear a garment longer, try something more comfortable like Spanx shapewear.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction garment?

+1

Thank you for the question. At this stage your recovery much of the swelling has resolved (resulting in the loose fitting garment).  I personally do not think any harm will be done without purchasing a tighter fitting garment. However, it would be best for you to check with your plastic surgeon for his/her recommendations. 

Compression Garments 5 Weeks After Liposuction

+1

I ask my patients to wear their compression garments for 24 hours for the first 10 days and 12 hours for the second 10 days after which they no longer need to wear them. After about 3 weeks or so the swelling should have gone down. Every surgeon has a different protocol so it's best to ask your doctor what he would like you to do. Hope this helps. Dr. David Amron - Beverly Hills, CA

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Except for liposuction of the ankles and calves, garments are not important.

+1

Hi.

We usually don't use garments at all.  Certainly after five weeks, you no longer need them.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)