Can My Surgeon Remove Fat Lumps on My Ankles? Will They Come Back?

I have a quite big lump, I think of fat, on eachankle. It never goes down like a swelling would. I have had them for over 10 years. I am having lipo next week, would the surgeon be able to lipo these lumps and alsoif he did, would they return?

Lump in ankles

+3

Dear Angie young,

I am sorry to say that without a full physical examination of these "lumps" in your ankles it is impossible to answer your question.  These "lumps" could be one of many diagnosis and each has it's own different treatment process.  I would ask your surgeon to examine the areas and see what their opinions are.  Good luck with your liposuction.

Dr. Hayn

Liposuction of Ankles?

+2

It is hard to know what the “lumps of the ankles” represent without examining you. Based on your history these may be lipomas,  which can be excised if they bother you. In general however I don't recommend liposuction of the ankles for most patients who request it.  Again, generally speaking I think the results of liposuction of the ankles is limited and the risks of the procedure too great.  This has to do with the close proximity of important musculoskeletal  structures, nerves and tendinous structures (and the potential for trauma to the structures). Your surgeon and you will be wise to remember “above all do no harm”.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.