Compression Garment at Bedtime? (1 Month Post-op)

Should a compression garment be worn at bedtime after a tummy tuck? I am 5 weeks post-op.

Compression Garment at 5 weeks

+3

I am a big fan of compression garments.   I think they help to minimize swelling and help with scarring.   I like an abdominal binder for 4 weeks and then a Spanx or similar garment for 2-4 weeks as needed.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Hello

+3

In our practice we advise our patients to wear there compression garment for a few months post-surgery to help with swelling. Whether your wear it at bedtime it’s up to you if you’re uncomfortable and not able to sleep remove it. During the day use it as much as possible.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Compression garment after tummy tuck

+3

Typically I have my patients wear an abdominal binder at all times including for sleep for 6 weeks after a tummy tuck.  This helps to avoid fluid pockets under the skin (seroma) and also keeps you from moving in ways that would cause you to stress the internal corset sutures that I place around the muscles.  It also helps with swelling around your lower abdomen.  You should however, follow the recommendations from your plastic surgeon and consult him or her for what  you should do.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a Compression Garment 5 weeks after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Each surgeon differs in their opinion regarding how long to wear the compression garment so you should follow the instructions of your surgeon.

In my practice, patients will wear the surgical binder for the first 4 weeks and then change to spanx (which is more comfortable) for another 2-4 weeks.

It doesn't hurt to wear the garment at night time.

Garment

+2

This is up to your surgeon. It certainly does not hurt anything to wear it at night as well. After four weeks I tell my patients the garment is optional at night

Michael Hueneke, MD

Wear your garment religiously after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question. By five weeks after a tummy tuck, I generally have my patients tapering off of wearing their garment. Some patients, however, can still benefit from wearing their garment for longer periods of time. A good rule of thumb is, if you leave your garment off for several hours and, during that time, you get swelling to the point that it is tighter when you put it back of, you can still benefit from wearing it all of the time. If you don't get any swelling, I recommend wearing it just during the day or just at night for another week and then get rid of it completely.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment questions are best addressed to the operating surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. Be sure to ask your surgeon whether you should wear your compression garment.

That said, in my practice I have no objection to patients wearing compression garments at 4-5 weeks if it makes him feel comfortable.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Garmet 5 weeks after surgery

+1

Every surgeon has their personal preferences, but I recommend my patients wear their garmet 23 hours a day for 6 weeks.  This is important at night because many people toss and turn without knowing it and the garmet adds extra security to the surgical site. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards

Zeil J. Zemmel 

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon