How Does a Compression Garment Help After Liposuction Surgery?

I see lots of references in the stories posted on Real Self about compression garments post-op. I don't really understand how a compression garment "works" and makes a difference. What if you didn't wear one, what happens? Are all compression garments the same quality, or are some brands better for healing--like spanx? Thank You VERY much.

Liposuction Garments

+2

Compression garments are not absolutely necessary but they do make patients more comfortable.  Studies have shown the end results depend on the surgery skill, not the garment.  In very large liposuction I feel it is important to wear garments for the first week to prevent fluid shifts and imbalance.   Most patients like the garments, feel better in them, and tend to wean off them as they desire for maximum comfort.  Some like some compression for 3 to 4 months.  In the end the results are the same, wear or not.  Some are allergic to garments but that is rare with latex avoidance.  Happy Valentines.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Garments and liposuction

+1

Compression garments after liposuction can make a difference in many situations though they won't improve liposuction that was not ideally performed. Many patients find that they doe provide initial comfort and even a sense of security. They can definitely and significantly decrease the extent of bruising following liposuction and may also help decrease the swelling and possibly lower the risk of fluid accumulation known as a seroma.

Garments do vary with some better than others. In fact, some are not designed or manufactured very well and can actually be detrimental to the results. Large seams on the inside of the garments can cause creases in the suctioned areas that may be problematic.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Compression garments and lipo

+1

Not all doctors have patients wear compression garments after liposuction. I have my patients wear them because I think that it helps with decreasing the risk of seroma and allows better adherence of the skin.. I think that patients are also more comfortable with them on.

Compression garments help patients feel more comfortable often, after liposuction

+1

Compression garments may minimize bruising, and by the pressure on the surgically-treated area, they may facilitate having less of a risk of a hematoma or even a seroma. The end result with or without a compression garment may be the same, but many patients feel less sore by wearing the compression in the first several weeks after liposuction.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/liposuction/index.html

Compressive garments are an important adjunct to liposuction

+1

Compressive garments absolutely make a big difference, however, not all garments are the same.  There are different "weave" technologies in the type of garment design and quite frankly some work better than others.  We have done scientific research in our practice in regards to the type of "weave" technology and found it makes a difference.  The idea with compression garments after liposuction is to encourage resolution of swelling and facilitate skin retraction after the contour improvement.  Garden variety "spanks" are not the as specialty garments designed for liposuction/body sculting.  We also utilized special foam technology in order to "target" certain areas for enhanced skin retraction after liposuction.  Compression garment are no good without a well trained team of post-lymphatic massage specialists.  There is a need to have compression as well as the appropriate massages in order to facilitate the shrinkage and contour improvements but without getting untoward scar tissue.  We typically use our garments for three weeks 24 hours a day, followed by three weeks at night only.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Web reference: http://www.BoyntonMD.com

Garments after liposuction are very helpful for recovery...

+1

After liposuction a garment is worn to help with healing and recovery, which does make them necessary after surgery.  A good result from liposuction depends on the skin contracting and the garment helps the skin to do that after surgery.  Also, garments help reduce swelling and help promote the flow of body fluids which decreases swelling.  Compression garments also moderate your body temperature and absorb any perspiration that may develop.  Your doctor will typically recommend a brand with which he is familiar, and one that is also comfortable.  If you are interested in liposuction surgery, then I would make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon.  There you will be advised of all post op instructions including garment wear.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Wear compression garments after Lipo

+1

Compression garments provide additional support to the lipo treated body areas to encourage a quicker healing process and discourage fluid from collecting in the areas that fat was removed. A patient would generally wear their compression garments around the clock for the first week following their procedure. The doctor should have comfortable garment options that shouldn't interfere with recovery or comfort.

Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

When liposuction is performed, a wide array of tunnels is created in the fat.  The compression garment obliterates these and prevents them from filling up with fluid and healing more slowly.