Is It Common to Have the Implant Placed in the Wrong Place and Taken Right Out?

I was suppose to have implants put in, he started on the first one and it went under my ribs so now i have three scars and no implants. There was also a chest tube put in my side. Is this common?

Breast Augmentation and Pneumothorax Complication?

+3

Sounds like you have been through a lot!  Based on your description it may be that  you and your surgeon experienced  a rare complication (pneumothorax) wherein  the dissection entered the chest cavity. This was then treated with the chest tube.  I can only speculate why you have 3 incisions.

The good news is, however that the complication was recognized and treated and that at this point you are doing well.

Prior to proceeding with any further surgery please confirm that your surgeon is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Implant under ribs

+3

I have never heard of someone placing the implant under the ribs and causing a pneumothorax.  I know of several cases where the pleural cavity was entered and caused a small pneumothorax. 

Implants in the wrong place

+3

No, this is very uncommon.  It sounds like you have had a terrible ordeal.  I have not heard of a complication of this nature during a breast augmentation procedure, but I suppose there is a theoretical risk of this sort of thing.

I hope that you are well and I am sorry to hear of your bad experience.  Jonathan Staiano

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+2

one of the potential complications of submuscular breast implant surgery include pneumothorax, where the chest wall is entered and air accumulates between the chest and the lungs. A chest tube some times is necessary. it is a rare complication. once it occures one is justified to not insert the implants. At that time your safety is priority.