Areolas Are Caving Under After Removing Breast Implants, Is This Permanent?

I am 4 weeks post-explant after dealing with constant capsular contracture for 11 years. I am slowly healing but continue to deal with the areola pulling in and under where the incision was made (more significant on the left). Will this heal over time or is it a permanent situation?

Breast implant removal and deformity.

+1

Thank you for the question in pictures.  

Unfortunately, it is too early to know if the contour depression that you are experiencing will be a long-term result  after your breast implant removal surgery. Sometimes it is amazing how the body will “fill in” defects with time and contraction of the skin envelope. I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon (assuming he/she is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon).  In the event  that revision surgery is necessary  he/she will be most familiar with the situation and  therefore best equipped to help you.

Indentations after breast implant removal surgery

+1

It is still early after your explantation surgery to determine the level of contour irregularity. It may take several months for the breast contours to improve. If there still is tethering or indentations after 6 months, revisional surgery can be done to release scar tissue or fill with own tissue. It may be useful to massage the area daily. Consult with your surgeon for advice on how to optimize the healing process and appearance of the breasts.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Post-explant deformities.

+1

After an explantation, it may take several months for the breast contours to smooth out. If the indentations persist, a revision surgery may help by releasing scar, or the interposition of fat from a fat transfer may help. Give things a little more time (at least 3-6 months) and then reassess.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Caving nipples

+1

From your photos this mat improve as time goes on.You may need a slight revision or perhaps soem of your own fat or other tissue may need to be added later to fill the depression but this should not be a problem.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Explantation of breast implant

+1

There is still some swelling according to the pictures. So it may improve some, but you will have still a major deformity.

You need to know if a total capsulectomy was done?

did they repair the breast tissue under the nipple areola?

You need to wait 6 months then explore your options with an experienced BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)

Breast caving in following implant removal

+1

4 weeks is too soon to make any long term decisions but it does look like you may be left with a deformity of your breasts.  Give the scarring 6 months or so to settle and massage your breasts to help soften the scars.  I find that fat transfer is the best way to help with this problem, although you may need more than one session.  All the best.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon