Is It Common for the Assistant to Perform IPR and Place Attachements

In my ortho office, assistants perform the IPR and place attachments, rather than the orthodontist himself. Is that common?

IPR

+2

The guidelines for what expanded function assistants can do varies by states, but I personally don't think assistants should be doing IPR since it is irreversible.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

IPR and Attachments done by Dental Assistant

+2

I am in Pennsylvania where Expanded Function Dental Assistants (EFDA) are.  In my office my dental assistant will place attachments but would prefer to do all the necessary IPR.  Check with your state association to see what the rules are. 

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Dental assistant does IPR and attachments?

+2

I have no problem with the assistant placing the attachments...not much can go wrong, but IPR is another story and I would not be suprised if this is not allowed under the dental practices act of your state...I certainly would not allow it

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Assistant Placing Attachments & Doing IPR

+2

Every state has different laws and guidelines for dental assistants. If your state has "Expanded Duty Dental Assistants", then it is OK.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist