Can Columella Strut That Causes Droopy Tip/hanging Columella Be Raised?

7 months ago, I had rhinoplasty and a columella strut was placed. I believe the doctor placed the strut too low, giving me a hanging columella/droopy tip appearance. I am looking into getting a revision, but was wondering if there was a way to raise the columella strut? If the columella strut is raised, can the droopy tip appearance go away? Or, would this require tip grafting (from the ear) and removal of the columella strut?

Revising columellar strut to improve droopy tip and hanging columella

+1

Without seeing your nose it's hard to say whether revising the strut itself will help your problem. Improvement to your problem is likely possible and may require modifying the existing strut, harvesting additional septal cartilage or using cartilage from the ear or rib

Columellar Strut

+1

An examination would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice.  It would first be necessary to determine that the placement of the columellar strut is the reason for the appearance of a droopy tip. It would be possible to improve the appearance of your nose with a revision rhinoplasty. It would be best to seek a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who specializes in revision rhinoplasty. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Columella strut and droopy tip

+1

Your droopy nasal tip may be unrelated to your columella strut. It may require a small resection of the caudal septum.  Without photos or ane xam it is difficult to say.

+1

Yes, of course, the columellar strut can be raised and re-positioned during Revision Rhinoplasty.  A conchal cartilage ear graft as well as trimming of the anterior septal angle can also be used to raise the droopy nasal tip.  What exactly needs to be done will depend on what your nose looks like at this time.  Photos would help in the evaluation.

Rhinoplasty

+1

The strut graft can be repositioned if it is the cause of over hanging collumela.

As for the tip it has to be assessed at the time of the surgery and decision be made how to give it th appropriate amount of projection.

Droopy Tip and Hanging Columella after Strut Placement

+1

A  strut can be repositioned to correct a hanging columella. This may or may not correct the dropping tip. Your surgeon or a physician who specializes in revision work will answer  your question before you decide to correct tip position and projection.