What Color Should the Drain Outage Be After Tummy Tuck?

Just had a full tuck with lipo and have 4 drains. Can't remember what color is good or bad for the drainage. Is dark yellow liquid coming from the drains good or bad?

Drain output following tummy tuck

+4

The color is not necessarily used as a good or bad indicator. Generally, the initial drainage is bloody and tends to be thick and dark with a tendency to clot. As the drainage diminishes it goes from dark red to lighter red (Hawaiin punch) to clearer red orange, to a lighter orange yellow and eventually to a clear yellow (serous) fluid. This is typically about the time the drainage dimishes.

Color of Tummy Tuck Drainage

+3

All drains do is remove the fluid appearing in between the two walls of the operated areas. As the fluid is removed, the opposite walls spend more time in contact with each other and ultimately stick to one another stopping the fluid production.

The color of the fluid reflects WHERE in the stage of healing the wound is located. Early after surgery, the fluid is bloody. As the tiny oozing stops, the drainage becomes blood tinged and occasionally narrow strips of clots are seen in a fluid that resembles the color of CLEAR apple juice. Later, no blood or clots are seen and the color of drainage changes to CLEAR light SEROUS yellow.

The ONLY time I would worry is if the color becomes CLOUDY, or greenish or begin to have any odor. Such changes may indicate an infection. At all times, if you have any questions, I am sure your surgeon would want to know.

Tummy tuck and drains

+2

Drain output fluid is usually bloody  becoming more serous (yellow)  after a few days. I don't think any specific color of drain output should be concerning; however, thicker/more dense  fluid especially associated with an unpleasant odor would be concerned (no matter what the color).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Drain output after tummy tuck

+1

Initially your drain output should be a little blood-tinged.  After a few days, it begins to look like Kool-Aid -- pink to red.  Following this it will become more watery and yellow to clear as the output decreases in volume.  If the output smells foul to you, or you are concerned about the color, I suggest calling your surgeon for a brief evaluation.  Good luck, /nsn.

Drainage following Tummy Tuck

+1

I also use 4 drains routinely on a full tummy tuck. Typically the drainage is initially red since is it largely blood. Over the course of a few days as the drainage usually decreases in volume it also becomes less red and more yellow. At this later point, the drainage is largely serum.