Will a Tummy Tuck Move my Tattoos?

I gained 60 pounds when I was pregnant with my son and now am covered in stretch marks on my stomach/hips. I also have loose skin on my lower belly. I'm assuming my tattoos on my hips will be completely gone, but what about the feathers? I also have a large tattoo that you can't see on my back and part of my hip. What will happen to that? Will they move? Is it possible to work around them?

Some patients want their tattoos off along with the abdominoplasty and some want to keep them.

You have to explain to your surgeon what you would like to happen to your tattoo.  He/she can then predict the outcome on the location of the tattoo and amount of loose skin in the abdominal/hip area.

Will a Tummy Tuck Move my Tattoos?

I agree with the comments below that yes your lower tattoos will be completely gone and the upper tattoos below your breasts will be slightly stretched. Good luck!

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Will a tummy tuck move my tattoos?

Judging by your photographs I agree that the tattoos in the lower abdomen will be removed during the course of an abdominoplasty. I don't think the upper feather tattoos be noticeably affected. The remaining tattoos that you described should also be able to be avoided. Make sure you discussed your concerns with your surgeon.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and tummy tucks

All of the skin between the pubic hairline and the belly button is removed in a tummy tuck. This means your lower tattoos will be removed. The upper tattoos will probably be unchanged. Some women place a tattoo over their new scar, as bikinis have become lower and lower (and lower it seems). Check out the pinterest gallery below to see some creative tummy tuck tattoos.

yes, your tatoos will be gone, sometimes just part of the tatoo will be removed, just talk to your doctor about your concerns 
Good luck

Carlos Lopez Collado, MD

Planning around tattoos

I'm not sure any of your tattoos need to be sacrificed. Planning of the operation can be modified to a certain extent.

Tummy Tuck

Your tatoos will almost certainly be moved, or possible removed completely. Occasionally there are ways to work around this. An in person consultation will help you decide what is best for you

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks and tatoos

Tummy tucks typically removes the skin below the belly button and any scar tissue or tattoos present.  The skin above the belly button up to the rib cage is stretched over twice the distance, and any tattoos may be distorted if they are in this region.

Tummy Tuck and Tattoos

Based on your tattoo locations you will see displacement of the feather tattoos and partial removal of the ones located at your hips. Patients with tattoos always have the option of having a consultation with a plastic surgeon in person first to best evaluate how extensive the tummy tuck needs to be. And then decide to remove them before the surgery, remove them after the surgery with laser tattoo removal or cover up with a new tattoo post surgery. Best of luck!

Tummy tuck and tattoos

Thanks for the question - the feathers will be stretched slightly but definitely not removed.  Not sure if the entirety of the lower tattoos will be completely removed.  Best to determine in person.  Best of luck.