What Is The Proper Way For Me To Clean The Dried Mucus Out Of My Nose 3 Weeks Post-Op?

I had a revision rhinoplasty 18 days ago. I had a lot of dried mucus in my nose and had been trying not to pick or blow my nose. However, this morning I couldn't take it anymore and I picked my nose with a Qtip. I am now very worried that I could have interferred with the healing. Could I have done something to harm my nose? My nose does seem more swollen and tender today than it was yesterday. What is the proper way to clean the nose?

Cleaning nostrils after revision rhinoplasty

+1
It is common to have dried blood and mucous in the nostrils following rhinoplasty. In most cases there are incisions placed just inside the nose for rhinoplasty and sutures to close these. Blood can tend to dry in this area. If you removed some of this dry mucous in this area 18 days after surgery, it is unlikely that you damaged anything deep such as the cartilage. The skin incisions heal very quickly after rhinoplasty. If there is still some dried blood and mucous, make a solution of half hydrogen peroxide with half saline and using a Q-tip moistened in this solution to dab onto the crusted blood. This will help to dissolve and remove the crusted blood. If you have thick mucous inside your nose, saline nasal spray can be used to help soften this mucous so that it can drain. You will find that you feel less congested and breathe better after doing so.

Proper way to clean dried mucus out of your nose after a rhinoplasty

+1
 Since it has been 3 weeks after the rhinoplasty, it is acceptable to  blow your nose. Saline irrigations can also help. For resistant crusts, hydrogen peroxide mixed with saline can also help.

Cleaning the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I always recommend saline nasal spray after rhinoplasty. This loosens dried mucous and blood and is soothing to the mucous membranes.  Heavy crusts early after surgery should be gently cleaned in the doctor's office.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Best way for me to clean inside of nose 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty?

+1

The best way for you to clean the inside of your nose 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty is to let the staff at your Rhinoplasty surgeon's office do it for you.  They have the experience of where the internal suture lines are as well as the proper light and mechanism to clean the dried crusts from the inside of your nose after your Rhinoplasty.  However, that's what we do with our Rhinoplasty patients and as always, you should contact your Rhinoplasty surgeon and follow his/her instructions during your post op course.

Cleaning your nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Many individuals can collect dry mucous and dried blood in the nostrils after closed or open rhinoplasty.  Using nasal saline early on helps minimize the crusting and mucous at the opening to the nose.  As time goes on, more may accumulate.  I allow my patients to use 1/2 strength peroxide on a q-tip after the first week to soften the crusts at the nostril opening over a few days.  This will usually loosen things so that you can gently remove it.  Caution is definitely warranted as there are stitches on the inside of the nostril and mucous and blood can 'catch' on these sutures.  If it doesn't come easily, leave it alone.  Of course, going to see your surgeon for this when you're having problems is the best course of action to minimize problems.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon