Chin Implant Revision - Nearly 8 weeks ago, I had a chin implant. It is too large (1cm) and created a "witch's chin" profile.

Nearly 8 weeks ago, I had a chin implant. It is too large (1cm) and created a "witch's chin" profile. Also, my lower lip is much thinner than before the implant. I want to have it replaced with a smaller size. What is then the suitable amount of time to wait before to have a revision? And what size would provide a more naturally looking profile and front view? Many thanks.

You have a real problem there

+7

Though it isn't a great photo of you, either you have fluid around the implant or your implant was far too big for you. You should get it out, heal the pocket down and replace it with a more appropriate size after 3 months. It isn't easy to downsize the implant until the old pocket heals over because the smaller implant will float around in a pocket that is too large.

Revision chin implant surgery

+4

Revision chin implant surgery can be notoriously difficult.  Make sure your surgeon determines that you don't have any complications, other than an implant that's too large.  One option is to remove the implant and have the implant pocket close in, then proceed with revision surgery.  Unfortunately the implant pocket does not always shrinks down, and can leave the patient with a droopy chin.  In my practice the preferred option is to proceed with revision surgery using the correct size special implants that tend to adhere to the tissue.  This approach is more predictable in avoiding the undesirable results that can be seen in revision chin surgery.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Revision Chin Implant

+4

First and foremost, you should schedule an appointment with your surgeon so that he or she may examine you to make sure that there is not a hematoma (blood pocket) surrounding the implant or that there is not an infection.

If you desire a smaller implant, the current one needs to be removed and your chin needs a chance to heal before replacing it. I would recommend waiting 3 to 6 months.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Okay to replace with smaller implant now

+2
Since it has been eight weeks since your surgery, that is an acceptable time to exchange the implant to a smaller size. The current implant that you have could be custom carved down to the size desired, or a smaller sized implant can be placed when the larger implant is removed. For more information about chin implants and our chin implant Photo Gallery, please see the link below

Ask your doctor

+2

you need to go back to your doctor to examine you to make sure that you do not have infection or fluid collection. I would recomend removal and wait at least 3 months. Your profile picture will be helpful .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant revision

+1

I have used chin implants and cheek implants for over 20 yewars.  A 10mm chin implant is quite large as I typically use chin implants with 4 or 5mm's projection.  The implant can be removed and replaced if it's a silastic implant. Anytime after a month, or so, the chin implant can be removed and replaced.

Chin implant too big

+1

From the photo you submitted, your chin does look too big in my opinion.  You need to return to your surgeon for an exam, and assuming any other causes are ruled out, there may be an argument for reducing the size of the implant sooner rather than later.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Downsizing chin implant

+1

it is difficult to answer this without examining you but assuming that all is healing well and there is no infection or hematoma, 2 months is an OK time to revise or replace the implant

Sam Naficy, MD