Chin Implant Too Big?

How do I know if my chin implant is too big? How long will it take for the swelling to go down? I am 3 weeks post-op, and I'm frightened by the size of my chin.

How long to wait before determining chin implant result

+3

You would still have significant swelling just 3 weeks after chin implant surgery. To get the best sense of your final result I would wait at least 3 months to allow your chin swelling to settle down fully. The determination of whether it is too big is somewhat subjective. A profile photograph of your face should allow you to assess how well your chin is balanced with the rest of your face. It is important not to use a wide angle setting as this can exaggerate chin size. Having your original surgeon take a standardized postopertive photo would be most illustrative and allow for the best comparison with your preoperative chin size.

There is no one perfect chin projection for a face but rather depends on the other facial features, especially the nose. Even with this in mind, there are some personal preferences based on your own aesthetic. Certainly, if you decide your new chin isn't to your liking it can be revised. This can be done either through trimming of your current implant or replacement with a smaller one all together.

Three weeks is early and post-operative swelling is still present after chin implant

+3

Three weeks is still relatively early to assess your final result.

Swelling can persist especially if liposuction was performed at the same time.

Generally 3 months should be sufficient time for you to evaluate your appearance.

Take photos using a non-zoom lens to try an objective assesment of the result. Take different angles, especially profile views

Traditional zoom lenses on cameras can distort the face and make the chin look larger in close up pictures.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon who can review your photos or concerns

I hope this helps

It's too early to decide after chin implants

+2

Chin implants are usually made from silicone, and may be removed at anytime. If the implant is too big or too small, the implant can be exchanged for a more appropriate size for facial balance. Big chins are more masculine, and inappropriate for a woman. Small chins make the nose appear larger, and also inappropriate for a man.

Removing implants is a relatively simple procedure. Generally, one waits at least 6 weeks following chin augmentation to allow swelling to resolve. Appropriate determination of aesthetic results can only be obtained once chin swelling has subsided.

First, let all swelling resolve, then reassess your chin in conjunction with the entire facial harmony. If you still feel your chin is unbalanced at that time, then consider exchanging or removing the implant.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon