Snoring and Sleep Apnea for 3 Years. I Am a Radiologist. I Have DNS. Have Not Underwent Any Sleep Analysis. I Am Thin Built?

Occasionally i ve nasal blockage.I ve consulted the ENT surgeon. They advised septoplasty. Can septoplasty will relieve sleep apnea. Whether i may need any other procedures furthur. Can u share ur experience.....

Septoplasty to relieve apnea

Your first step should be to have a sleep study. This will establish if you have apnea and to what degree . This can decide how treatment will be evaluated to determine effectiveness .
Septoplasty may improve your nasal breathing but if the problem is your narrow airway behind tongue it may not help. This May require tonsil evaluation and tongue position evaluation. 
Yes , thin people can have this condition 
Another option to consider is oral appiance therapy by a dentist . I have treated many patients who have  undergone surgery and still needed further treatment . Oral appliances were successful in controlling the snoring and reducing the apnea  

Hope this helps

Deviated Nasal Septum and Sleep Apnea ... #RealSelf100

Hello there,
My first thought is for you to try a dental sleep device.  They look like a mouth guard and it's worn at bedtime.  It's unnoticeable to others around you.  It moves your jaw forward, removing the obstruction of the back of your tongue from your pharynx.  It takes about a week to get used to for most people, but it is 100% better than having to have a CPAP machine.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
Real Self 100

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Saint Louis Dentist

Usually septoplasty alone will not alleviate sleep apnea, but it is still a good idea

Obstructive sleep apnea is rarely caused only by septal deviation.  More frequently, obstruction is located at the base of tongue, pharyngeal walls, soft palate and uvula.  However, the nasal airways need to be open for any treatment of sleep apnea to be maximally effective (whether it is CPAP or surgery).

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep apnea requires comprehensive evaluation and treatment

A deviated septum or nasal blockage can contribute to sleep apnea. However, according to medical studies, septoplasty will only improve apnea and snoring in about  15% of patients. Apnea, especially in someone who is thin more likely has narrowing at all levels: nose, nasopharynx, palate and base of tongue. So, treatment at multiple levels may be necessary. Although, if the nose is a large component, you can start there.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Septoplasty and Sleep Apnea

I would have the sleep study done first as apnea likely will not be the result of a deviated septum.  If you have unilateral nasal onstructive symptoms,  the septoplasty may be reasonable as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septoplasty

Having a deviated nasal septum can certainly upset your sleep cycles since you are not having proper breathing function at rest. A septoplasty would at least help your breathing and snoring issues. Sleep studies would need to be done to properly diagnose your sleep apnea. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD