Will Chemical Peels Treat Large Pores?

hey i am 27 years old and having good health i have got large pores on my face and someone has suggested me chemical peeling but at the same time my skin is having redness on cheeks sometimes , one year back i started to use anti aging treatment also but now i ma worried about my skin it has become so much sensitive even to a cold cream kindly tell me what to do in this age should i start chemical peel or any antiaging cream or anythig and what to do do to have young looking skin.

Will Chemical Peels Treat Large Pores?

+3
Pore size is a pre-determined thing and as you can see from the other responders, it is not easy to reduce the size of one’s pores. Several procedures that are out there can minimize the appearance of one’s pores and that should be your goal with good maintenance to keep the appearance of them as you want them to look. A board-certified dermatologist is your best bet here and I would recommend consulting with one in your area to see what are the best treatment options for you.

Even though some say lasers and IPL treatments do not do much here, in the right hands, combined with proper skin care, one can minimize the appearance of one’s pores. Fractional lasers and even some of the newer RF needling devices like the EndyMed Intensif can make the appearance much less over time, again when using the proper skin care routines.

I tell patients all the time that you are born with your pores, but that does not mean you have to live with them — we want you to learn what’s out there, go to someone with experience, and get the skin you want safely, and with the least amount of downtime to achieve great results.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Prescription Retinoids and alpha hydroxy acids are the best things for pore size

+2
If you look at a pore histologically, it is an invagination of the skin and so contIns an epithelium just like the skin. And, as the pore gets deeper it gets wider. So, laser resurfacing can make your pores actually larger because as it takes layers of skin away the width of the pore increases. With medium depth and deep peels, the acid coats the skin and the lumen of the pore. It exfoliates the skin within the pore and on the surface of the skin. Temporarily the pore size with be reduced because of swelling within the pores. But, eventually pore size will return. When you use topical retinoids and alpha/beta hydroxy acids on the skin daily, the debris within the pores is cleaned out and the pore will collapse giving the illusion that the pore is smaller. So, the key is to maintain exfoliation and excavation of the exfoliates skin from the pores on an ongoing basis.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Pore Size

+1

I agree with those who said that pore size is fixed. The pores do NOT open and close like windows! 

When the skin is dry, they SEEM smaller . When skin is oily, the pores seem larger. As we age, sometimes the pores will actually get larger. Don't believe that creams with have a measurable, lasting affect on your pore size. Expect that the right skin care, that is tailored for you, will help you to look your best!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist

Shrinking pores is not actually possible

+1

It is not actually possible to shrink your pores with anything - lasers, IPL, creams, etc. The only thing that can be done to resolve pore size, is to fill the large ones in with dermal fillers, like Restylane. It is possible to even out tone and coloring with IPL or laser resurfacing, which for a lot of people actually does help the pores appear smaller and less obvious (though in all actuality they are not!). You can consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to go over the possibilities. But I'd say chemical peels are not your answer.

The skin sensitivity you are experiencing could be from using products with aggressive agents. Many anti-aging products have a form of retinol or retin A. Using it everyday can be aggravating for many skin types, especially those trying to use it before they actually need the skin repair. For a good skin regimen, I suggest daily sunscreen and a great topical Vitamin C like SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic. These two products alone make tremendous improvements for many people, help prevent future damage, and aren't irritating.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Honestly, chemical peels and laser resurfacing will not help.

+1
The pore is large do to past damage to the skin often from acne as a teen. So often patients are falsely promised help with these pores with laser treatment or chemical peel. The treatment can swell the skin for a few weeks but at best these treatments are neutral on pore size. Services are that can be helpful include nonablative treatments like photofacial, which will also help with reds and brown spots. Carefully placed fillers are also a good option. Please be carful out there and try not to be taken advantage of or harmed in you effort to improve your appearance.