How to Improve Crepey Skin on Face?

I'm in my mid-30s and the skin on my face, especially around the eyes, gathers when I smile or squint. It's very apparent especially in daylight. I've used retin-a on and off for over a year, along with Vitamin C serums and moisturizers. Nothing seems to help. I know it's dehydrated but its hard to fix especially under they eyes where the skin is so thin. Lasers seem to harsh, would a peel work?

Improvement of Aging Lines Around Eyes with Neurotoxins and Chemical Peeling

+2

The first and most important thing you can do is find a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon who has a lot of expertise in treating fine lines and crepey skin around the eyes.  While you have not seen much improvement with the topical RetinA (tretinoin), I would still recommend you continue to use it as much as you can as long-term use will improve fine lines and textural issues. The fine lines you see around the eyes when you smile or squint will benefit from Botox or Dysport (neurotoxins) as they will reduce your ability to smile or squint thereby reducing those visible lines.  Sometimes you can put a little Dysport or Botox immediately under the eyes to soften the lines there as well.  An appropriate type and strength of chemical peel can be very effective for improving the fine lines, texture and crepey nature of the skin around the eyes and may be used in conjunction with the neurotoxins for optimal improvement.  Again, your physician will be able to select the appropriate treatments based on your specific concerns and the clinical presentation.   

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=36

Treating Aging Skin and Crowfeet with Chemical peels, Botox/Dysport

+2

Regular use of Retin-A should stimulate collagen production but you need to be out of the sun and use daily sunblock.  Overall you need to stay well hydrated with both drinking water and facial moisturizer. 

Botox and Dysport work by reducing the ability to squint and minimize the wrinkles around the eyes; the products and their results are temporary but highly effective. 

Chemical peels (TCA, lactic acid) get rid of the epidermis and outer dermis with the goal of stimulating your own collagen for a more youthful appearance.  Combination therapies are frequently common to achieve the best aesthetic results.

Botox and Dysport Work Extremely Well for Crow's Feet

+2

The kind of  "gathering" you describe around your eyes is likely to be what we refer to as "periorbital" wrinkling or more commonly "crow's feet."  Dynamic wrinkling, i.e. wrinkling from the motion of the movement of the facial muscles of expression is a common problem, which first begins to appear in a person's thirties when sun-damage related and age-related losses in the quality and quantity of collagen and elastic fibers first begin to appear. 

Happily, dynamic wrinkling of this kind can be easily treated with injections of neuromodulators, such as Botox, Dysport and now Xeomin, which suppress slightly the motion of these muscles thereby alleviating the "gathering" and bunching that are so cosmetically troubling. I first began using Botox for this purpose in 1991, so its use for this indication is hardly new. 

Of course, sun protection and the use of topical retinoids and alpha hydroxyacids would be helpful to maintain and prolong the results you achieve with treatment.

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Peels may help, Botox or Dysport would be better

+1

Peels may help a bit, but I would suggest you consult with a physician about injecting a small amount of Botox or Dysport in this area. I think that will be a better solution for you. And being in Florida, while you listed good products, make sure you are also using a good sunscreen every day (and sunglasses, as squinting in the sun can make these tiny lines worse!).

Crepey skin on my face

+1

You are exposed to the the sun and  elements  in Florida. The first step is to avoid further "aging" of your skin . Do not smoke, use an excellent sun blocker every day , drink plenty of fluids and have a skin care regimen tailored to the needs of your skin (A plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist can help you ).

A plastic Surgeon can help you "smoothing" your skin with an appropriate peel.The type of peel depends on your skin needs, result expected and your patience with healing your skin after a peel.  Florida Board certified Plastic Surgeons are very experienced in treating your problem. In the hand of an experienced Plastic Surgeon a Laser procedure can  also be  a good option.

Evansville Plastic Surgeon