Can a Chemical Peel Get Rid of Deep Eye Lines?

I've had bad under eye bags/lines since I was little but have been told that I'm ineligible for blepharoplasty(I'm 22 PMH anemia/asthma/hay fever/borderline diabetic). Can a chemical peel safely get rid of my under eye wrinkles? Also, are chemical peels safe for people with allergies? My allergies can cause my eyelids to swell up, crust over, and peel. I am also prone to styes(so I can't get fillers). Suffice it to say, my eyes are very sensitive.

Getting rid of deep eye lines

+1

I would advise getting an in-person consultation from your dermatologist to determine your best and safest treatment option. I'm generally not that fond of chemical peels in this area, and find a little bit of Botox, fillers, and sometimes laser to be more effective; that said, if there is lots of loose skin or a fat pouch, then surgery is required.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels or lasers for lower eyelid wrinkles.

+1

Chemical peels can be very successful to resurface lower eyelids as well as other sensitive areas of the face.

I have used Phenol and TCA peels for years with exceptionally reliable outcomes.  I have not seen any issues with hypopigmentation.

Consideration should be given to the following:

1.)  Your overall state of health.

2.)  Amount of sun exposure to the full face.  Some patients have sun damage across the entire face.  While they do respond nicely to any peel treatments around the eyelids, the entire face must be peeled to avoid an uneven appearance.

3.)  Excess skin.  While peels can really improve the texture and pigmentation of the skin, they are clearly not a substitute for surgical correction when necessary.

4.)  Lasers can effectively produce the same result but might be more expensive.  It can also be difficult to treat  so close to the eyes when protective eye gear is used appropriately during the laser procedure.

I use both lasers and chemical peels and am very satisfied with both.

Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under Eye Lines

+1

It would be best for you to seek a personal consultation to allow for better evaluation of this area in real life.  You may need a combination of treatments including treatment for your eczema with possible fillers if needed.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Chemical Peel for Under Eye Wrinkles?

+1

Hi Tapecinq.  The best option if you are not considering a lower lid blephoraplasty is Restylane or Juvederm injections.  Filling the area below the eyes will help you get rid of the tired look and bags you speak about.  The link below shows many patients that have had this procedure successfully at our proactice.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dennie-Morgan Lines are causing your wrinkles

+1

Let me add the dermatologist's opinion to this post.  

The reason you have had this line around your eye is because it is called a Dennie-Morgan line and has a close relationship to those individuals who suffer or are prone to eczema.  This is common and I see this commonly.  Very rarely, this will be associated with something called ichthyosis, but 98+% of the time it is eczema.  This is consistent with your "allergies/asthma".  Eczema is what I call asthma of the skin.  Seek a dermatologist's opinion and I believe that there should be some topical meds which may improve this, but not make it completely better.

Restylane will not make this better.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Only deep chemical peels remove deep lines. Laser resurfacing is better.

+1

Laser resufacing from an experience expert is the best way to remove deep lines around the eyelids.  Deep Chemical peels may take all of the pigment out of the skin.  What ever you do, make sure you see a well respected experience Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon to do this treatment.  You won't get a second chance to do it right!

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Any peel with is capable of getting rid of the wrinkles will damage your skin color.

+1

Also the story that you can't have eyelid surgery because of your heath issues is, well, just a story.  There is no truth to this.  However, there is a far better reason for not having lower eyelid surgery: it is not going to accomplish what you are looking for.  Your best option is filling the under eye hollow with Restylane.

Eyelid wrinkles

+1

Chemical peels can improve eyelid wrinkles. How effective they are depends on the strength (depth) of the peel. However, the deeper the peel the greater the risk.

Hearing how sensitive your eyelids are, i would advise you to avoid seeking this kind of treatment. I would suggest you follow your dermatologist's recommendations on how to handle your sensitive lids.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon