What Are the Risks of a Chemical Peel on my Chest and Arms?

I am 27 and have small freckles ALL over my chest and arms. I wear sunblock every day now but I've had them for a long time. My dermatologist recommended a peel but I want to be sure it will definitely look BETTER afterward, not have a chance of looking worse somehow. Also what would happen to the pigment of any moles on my arms if I do this?

Chemical peels works for the forearms and chest

+2

Chemical peels can work for the forearm and chest, but it does require some additional care when doing the procedure.  Lower concentrations of acid are usually required in order to protect these areas of the body from adverse outcomes.  They will work on brown spots, but not perfectly.   Your best bet is a Q-switched laser.  These will give the best results and as long as the physician does not point the laser at a mole, there is nothing to worry about.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels help dark spots on the chest and arms but need to be done several times.

+1

The more you chemically peel the chest and arms with medium peels (not heavy), the more even the color and texture.  Arms and chests do good but need several peels 3-4 wks apart and good aftercare.  Expect roughly about $1500 per peel.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Chemical peel sof chest and arms are done frequently done but has be by an experienced physician. The concentration of the peeling solution is less than taht used in the face and you will see improvement.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermatologists peel chests and arms all the time

+1

Dermatologists peel chests and arms all the time. We have to be careful on the chest and neck as there can be potential for scarring if not done correctly. I would never promise a patient that they would DEFINITELY look better from any procedure and would caution you about the honestly of anyone who promises 100%.  Your doctor might want you to use a retinoid and a bleaching cream prior to the peel or might suggest doing a blue light or a laser instead. See someone that you trust and get their opinion but remember that nobody should say definitely to anything. That is an invitation to an unhappy patient. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Generally it is a bad idea to chemically peel the chest and arms.

+1

The skin of the face heals very differently than the skin off the face.  The face has numerous stem cells that help the skin heal.  The chest and arms have much fewer stem cells.  The mild peeling agents that can be used off the face are unlikely to actually clear the freckles.  Non ablative services are more likely to successful rather than a chemical peel like fotofacial.