Is It Normal Not to Feel the Bottom of Your Breast After a BA if So when Will I Get the Feeling Back?

I had my BA six weeks ago and I can't feel the below the nipple I can see I'm touching it but I can't feel it unless I pinch it or my bra presses on my incisions and I wanna know if I will ever get that back

Numb nipple

+2
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue. The Peri-areolar incision is associated with increased risk of nipple numbness due to the fact that the nerve is in close proximity.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Numbness After Breast Augmentation

+1

It's common to experience some numbness around the incision site or toward the bottom of the breast after a breast augmentation.  For most patients, feeling does return after a few months, but since everyone is different, there is a small chance that it could be permanent, but don't worry, give it some time. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Breast Augmentation

+1

Many women have temporary numbness after liposuction.  This could be the skin between your nipple and your crease or your nipple or areola themselves.   It is commonly temporary, but may be permanent.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Breast augmentation numb lower breast

+1

Sometimes women get an area of the bottom of the breast with loss of feeling after breast augmentation. It usually get better with time by about 1mm per day or an inch per month.

Michael Horn, MD

Lost feeling after breast augmentation

+1

We often worry about feeling in the nipple after augmentation, though perhaps more common is a numb feeling below the nipple on the underside of the breast. Loss of feeling can be a result of a stretch of the nerves to skin over the surface of the implant. Most will recover in six to nine months though a few do not.

Will I Get the Feeling Back?

+1

Most patients will get their sensation back, either normal or close to normal by 3-6 months. Having some sensation (deep pinch and pain) is a favorable sign. 

All the best. 

Sensory changes after a breast augmentation

+1

Sensory changes after a breast augmentation  are not unusual at all.  With an inframammary or crease incision the lower pole of the breast is most commonly effected.  It will get better over time and is not likely to be permanent.  Most patients will report that the sensation will gradually get better over a 3 - 6 month period of time.  On very rare occasions sensation loss can be permanent. 

Sensory changes after implants

+1

Some sensory changes can occur with implants. It is quite possible that this is due  to swelling. If so, it often gets better as the swelling subsides.

Breast Augmentation Sensation

+1

The sensation below your nipple in a breast augmentation may or may not come back.  The nerves which provide sensation here are microscopic and they get injured during the augmentation process.  When they do come back, it takes 3-6 months for the sensation to return.  Sometimes, it stays numb-feeling forever.  The good news is, your brain can reprogram that to feel normal so that it doesn't bother you in the future.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Sensation below the breast

+1
I understand your concern, but generally sensation to that area will come back over time.  It usually takes a few months before it begins to come back.  Nipple and areola loss of sensation is something different and that may not come back if you are experiencing that as well.  Hope that helps!!!

Farbod Esmailian, MD