Can Chalazion Be Gone on Its Own?

i had one on my right upper eye lid , it has been a week. I've undergone three I&C for chalazion for my left eye so i know how it works, but this time, i dont want to have another one if it will be gone on its own. I have chalazion in my upper eye lid. I just treat it warm compress and hopes it will be gone on its own since i do not want to undergo another I&C. I also have dry eyes, will using artificial tears have an effect on my chalazion now? do you think it's okay to use it while i have chalazion?

Will chalazion go away on its own?

Often a chalazion will go away on its own or with conservative medical treatment such as hot spoon bathing, topical antibiotic ointment and time. An acute red inflamed chalazion will settle and even point with medical treatment then after a few weeks if it has not gone away, an injection of Kenalog or an incision and curettage is indicated, which is a minor day case procedure under local anaesthetic.

However, we are ignoring the underlying cause of chalzion.

Recurrent chalzia are more likely in patients in whom the posterior blepharitis or meibomian gland dysfunction is not being adequately addressed.

It is a good idea if you have already had one chalazion, to be assessed for posterior or mixed type blepharitis with blocked or atrophic meibonian glands.

The other name for chalazion if a meibomian cyst, so called as it is a blockage in the meibomian duct, of which approximately 25 to 30 are found in each eyelid within the tarsal plates. The blocked meibonian ducts have to be addressed with eyelid heating, massage and cleaning, intensively for a few weeks then less so after about 8 weeks, as maintenance.

From Jane Olver, Consultant Oculoplastic Surgeon, London, UK

London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazion

The first treatment for your chalazion is warm compresses. Topical drops and ointments are not very effective. I prefer oral antibiotics. If it still persists, then injection of Kenelog (steroid) usually gets rid of it. There is usually no need to incise and drain chalazion. 

Chalazion treatment

We want all our patients to do warm soaks for 1 hr/day for I month. This cures most of them. After 1 month, surgical drainage or steroid injection can be used depending on the size on the chalazion at one month

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chalazia can resolve with non-surgical treatment

The first line of treatment of chalazia is often warm compresses several x daily for a couple weeks.  Many specialists also recommend an eyedrop or ointment with a steroid to be used for 2 or 3 weeks.  When such conservative measures fail,  lancing the chalzion is usually the next step.

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazion

A chalazion is a blocked oil gland at the eyelid margin. They will typically resolve with warm compresses and keeping it clean with water and a gentle soap. If it does not resolve on its own you should consult your ophthalmologist. Artificial tears will not effect your chalazion.

Can Chalazion Be Gone on Its Own?

Yes, sometimes chalazia go away on their own.  Usually, using artificial tears does not cause a problem, however, you should see an Ophthalmologist to make sure that these are what your diagnoses are.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid chalazion

A chalazion is a blocked oil gland on the lid near the margin. It can go away on its own but it may take a few years.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazia can resolve on their own...with some work

A chalazion, as you know, is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid.  To get it to express, you can use hot compresses several times daily followed by eyelid scrubs with a mild soap (baby shampoo).  It can take a few weeks of treatment to get it to drain.  In some cases, no matter how much you use the compresses, the chalazion will not resolve, or it becomes so inflamed that the oil collection is replaced by inflammatory tissue.  These cases often require a procedure to resolve.  See your ophthalmologist.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon