Cauliflower Ears, Swelling After Piercing?

Hello I would like to ask about cauliflower ears, I had my upper ear pierced over 1 month ago and I was hoping that the swelling would have gone down but still now my right ear is swollen. It isnt that extreme, but I am worried about it. If I take the piercing out, there is a lump right on it. Do you think this will go away?

+1

At one month, any swelling should have resolved. Your history does sound suspicious for a perichondritis, infection of the cartilage of the ear. This can be serious and disfiguring without proper treatment. You should seek a consultation with an Otolaryngologist to determine how to proceed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cauliflower Ear

+1

You should see a doctor immediately. You probably have an infection of the cartilage. Do not mess around waiting. You also might be allergic to the metal used. Nickle is a common alloy used in earrings  and can cause your type of reaction. Nickle can be mixed with gold, and silver

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Ear Piercing

+1

My general recommendation for piercing of the cartilaginous parts of the ear is "don't do it".  The cartilaginous pinna (ear) is relatively less vascular in its interior and therefore less tolerant of piercings.  If you still have swelling after one month, you may want to consider removing the piercing, but its probably best to see a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon in consultation to evaluate for infection.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon