Too Tight First Bandage: Problem with the Anthelix? (photo)

4 days ago I've had otoplasty. I was instructed to wear two tennis headbands for three days (holding the ear bandages on their place) Looks like the headbands were too tight. I am enclosing a pic: On the upper left is my ear four days after surgery, the other three is my ear pre surgery. Do you think that the anthelix is damaged from pressure? Any chance that after swelling resides things will be better? Anything I can do right now to help it?

Ear Bandage Damage?

+1

From the photo your ear appears to be bruised and swollen as expected at this early point in you recovery.  I cannot rule out a collection of blood below the skin without examining the ear but from the photo that appears unlikely.  The ear skin is delicate and bruises easily.  It is not likely that the bandages caused a problem but have your operating surgeon check it out.  It will take 3-4 weeks for the bruising to clear and 3-6 months for the swelling to resolve.  As the swelling resolves, you will likely notice a softening in the antihelical fold depending upon how the fold was modified at surgery.

Damage to ears from dressings

+1

are quite rare.  Your photo shows a bruised ear and if it hasn't turned black by now, you are fine.  The blood supply to the head is quite robust so its very difficult to have blood supply issues.  If the skin is cold and black, you should see your surgeon.