Capsulectomy or Not?

I have elected to have my implants removed. This will be my third surgery and last one. I have had two right side capsular contractures in the past. The implant is over the muscle, mentor saline, 250cc. One doc said to remove the entire capsule b/c it does not re-absorb. The other doc said he can do it under local anesthesia in the office and he would not remove the capsule b/c it will reabsorb. Who is right?

Why Capsulectomy ?

+2

Breast Capsule Removal (Capsulectomy) Guidelines and Explanation
The guidelines I recommend for my patients are pretty straight forward. If the capsule is very thick, calcified or otherwise distorts the breast or is calcified it needs to be removed. The same for any ruptured silicone implants as it gives you the opportunity to remove traces of free silicone.

The purpose of the Capsulectomy is to  Remove Abnormal Internal Scar Tissue. Without doing so it will remain. A Complete capsulectomy for all practical purposes means removal of all internal scar tissue. Your body as a part of natural part of healing under ideal circumstances will make a new thin and supple capsule  when the new implant is placed rather than a thick stiff one that was removed.

Breast Capsules do not get absorbed

+1

It is ridiculous to think that a breast capsule will absorb on its own. If you are removing your implants, I usually prefer to remove most if not all of the capsule. Doing so will reduce the likihood that you will form a seroma. However, there are certain cases where I would elect to leave the capsule intact.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Capsulectomy with Breast Implant Removal?

+1

When breast implants,  or any other foreign body,  is inserted into the human body,  the body forms a lining around it.  This lining is referred to as the “capsule”.   This capsule is normally very thin and soft;  however, it can become  thick and hardened in a process called encapsulation or capsular  contracture.

In the process of breast implant removal,  assuming the breast implant capsules are soft and asymptomatic,  there is no reason to remove them (capsulectomy). Removal of breast  implant capsular  tissue increases  the risks of surgery (for example bleeding).

Capsulectomy with breast implant removal

+1

In most cases capsulectomy is not required when removing implants.  Sometimes the capsule will dissipate over time sometimes not, either way it is usually not of any consequence.  Are you having your implants removed because of two prior capsule contractures?  There are several options to help prevent contractures. Other methods are attempting to reposition the implant under the muscle or using Allograft in the pocket. Seek additional information on this unless you are fully committed to removing your implants.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon