Do I Have Capsular Contracture 5 Months Post-Op Breast Implants? (photo)

Hello Drs-I am 5 months post-op and my left breast is firmer and not as pliable as my right.Also,the crease has risen up since surgery.In addition,there is a dent on the outerside at the bottom of my left breast(not noticeable in picture).The first picture here is 3-weeks post-op, and the last three are 5 months post-op.The last one was taken with my body tilted back.You can see the right sits comfortably,while the left seems to have a 'bulge',a more defined edge.Do I have Capsular Contracture?

Talk to your surgeon

If you've just recently noticed that your breasts have changed in shape, feel, and how they project from your body, then you're right - you could be developing capsular contracture. While you can feel for yourself for any changes that indicate capsular contracture (signs include hardness, swelling, pain, and a rounder, more ball-like shape), please book an appointment with your surgeon who may examine you to see if it actually is. Your examination sometimes can involve an ultrasound, mammogram or MRI. The sooner you do this, the sooner you can be diagnosed and treated. Earlier detection is always better.

Treatments for capsular contracture include medications, therapeutic massage and stretching, as well as implant removal/replacement. Good luck!

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Breast Surgery

It is very hard to make clinical decisions based on a very little information provided on the internet, I suggest you see a local board certified plastic surgeon with aesthetic expertise

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

214 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10012

Capsular Contracture at 5 months postop?

It is hard to diagnose capsular contracture without an in office exam.  Thank you for your question.  Capsular Contracture is one of the main risks of breast augmentation.   Classic signs are:

1.  hardness/tightness of the implant
2.  change in implant position (typically migrates towards the collarbone)
3.  increased pain and stiffness on the associated side.
Based on your description, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation of capsular contracture.    If present, I would recommend a capsulectomy (removal of scar tissue) and implant exchange. 
Factors to consider:
1.  If your implants are above your muscle, you may want to consider switching to underneath the muscle, which lessens the risk of capsular contracture.
2.  If your implants are above the muscle and you desire to keep them there, you may benefit from the use of a textured implant.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Capsular Contractures of Breast Implants

If you had very small breasts to begin with and then had large breast implants placed, then your breast skin envelope may simply still be tight, and will gradually stretch out to accomodate the breast implants

It is difficult to tell from you photos whether or not you have capsular contractures of your breast implants.  A physical examination is needed. 

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

47 East 77th Street
New York, NY 10021

Capsular Contracture breast Augmentation

It looks like from the photos an examination would give you a definitive diagnosis.  This can be fixed with revisional surgery.  I would recommend working with your surgeon unless you have a communication issue.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Revision breast augmentation usually works.

1)  Hard to tell exactly the cause, but one side looks quite different than the other.  Also you have a sharp line above your left breast and what looks like a prominent scar under your right breast.

2)  In a couple of months you may want to consider a revision.  With good planning, a good result can usually be achieved.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Capsular contracture?

Unable to tell without an exam.  May be a contracted capsule and may be malposition of the implant.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Do I have a capsular contracture 5 months postop breast implants?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Physical examination will determine if you have capsular contracture. The look and feel of hardness surrounding your implant is seen and/or felt. At its worst, you experience pain. It may also cause distortion of your breast. What has caused it will be in question. 

Your surgeon will likely recommend implant massage and may add the medication Singulair. If these fail, surgical correction may be suggested. It is a matter of surgeon preference as well as what is seen during your procedure that will determine whether or not a complete capsulectomy is performed. If significant capsule formation is seen intraoperatively, a full capule removal may be warranted with a drain in order to completely remove all of the tissue and allow better adherence of your breast back to its normal anatomic position down on your chest wall. Irrigating with certain medications may also be if benefit. If minimal contracture is seen, it may be possible to leave the capsule, or place cuts within the capsule to allow better adherence. It truly is dependent on what is seen with your capsule and the issues that may be causing you to have such a procedure (e.g., contracture from rutptured implant vs pain vs simple pocket adjustment, etc).

Without knowing your issues and without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what may be the best thing for you. I tend to favor performing capsulectomies in order to create a fresh pocket, reshape the pocket, allow better shape and adherence of the overlying breast. I would discuss your issues with your plastic surgeon who will assist you in determining the right modality for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Thanks for the posted photos. Very hard to tell over the internet. Best to obtain an in person second opinion. Would like to see the before photos, you may have been asymmetric. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Capsular contracture

You may very well have a capsular contracture, but an exam is important to figure that out.  Each breast will be a bit asymmetric with one always with a lower fold than the other, but the concerning thing is that the implants has risen and does not move well.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028